Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Anyone here using an SLSA Kitfox for training?

Default Anyone here using an SLSA Kitfox for training?

From what I'm seeing, Kitfox is the most sold kit plane, but unsure about the SLSA version. I'm interested as a CFI offering both private and sport training using the Kitfox (and also a Cessna 172) and have been researching schools other than Stick and Rudder that use a SLSA Kitfox. I've found a few and planning on reaching out to them as well, but one question I have is how much it gets rented per month. Seems like the demand for this kind of flying is increasing and probably a result of backcountry flying YouTube channels.

Also, what's the lead time on an SLSA order?

Default Re: Anyone here using an SLSA Kitfox for training?

You're probably going to hear this from others, but get some insurance quotes. I'm a CFII that took a reinstatement ride about 18 months ago. Since then I've used my Citabria for some dual instruction (tail wheel endorsements and flight reviews). I did it "at risk" that as owner and PIC that any runway excursion that resulted in damage would be my responsibility. Not a scratch.

Many years ago I ran a one man flight school and owned a Cardinal RG. I well remember the day I transitioned from $1000/year for my personal use to $1100/month for insurance that would allow dual instruction and renting. Obviously the plane has to fly quite a bit to pay for that.

After doing about 4 tail wheel endorsements in my Citabria I inquired with my insurance broker about going legit, and asked for a quote that would cover dual instruction only (no rental. no way am I getting back into that game). My $560/year policy would turn into $4k. I penciled it out and I would have to bump my rate from $155/hr dual to $200/hr and instruct at least 40 hours/year, otherwise all I would be doing is subsidizing other people's flying. I'd like to think I'm a nice guy but not that nice.

So call it at least four tail wheel endorsements/year. Now I might average that or slightly more, but this would force me to seek out students where up until now I've just used word of mouth referrals. I love instructing way more than I love my day job but I've done it for a living and I can affirm it is a more austere lifestyle, so if it is anything more than a hobby it is just going to interfere with my personal flying (and building) schedule.

I will say it would be a nice niche with lots of potential customers, so if you go this route then good on you.

Word to the wise: You need to emotionally detach yourself from any aircraft that is on the line for rent. It is a business asset, end of story. Like owning a pop machine or piece of restaurant equipment. Otherwise you're going to lose your s*** about once per week at how your baby is treated.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks for the reply! I knew insurance was going to be an obstacle, but holy cow that's a LOT. Now I know why the schools I've seen offering the Kitfox charge so much. I'm mostly retired and not having to rely on instructing so this is more for flying funds and something to keep my skills up. But I also don't want to lose my ass on this.

I'd buy a Champ. Won't be as much fun but....

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    I'd buy a Champ. Won't be as much fun but....
    Agree that it wouldn't be as much fun, and that's why I'm leaning towards the Kitfox. The FBO local to me has a Champ for rent and I'm wanting to offer something different. The question I'm trying to solve first is, how much demand there would actually be.

I highly doubt you will get any useful information on demand for Kitfox training/rental from this forum where nearly everyone not in your local area and is highly biased (rightly so) toward the Kitfox or is already an owner/potential owner. You will need to do your research among the general GA aviation groups in your local area.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    You will need to do your research among the general GA aviation groups in your local area.
    Completely agree with this, however, the few that I've talked to didn't even know what a Kitfox was. When I showed a friend of mine that had an interest in getting his private pilot, he was definitely curious, but also hesitant. I think because it doesn't look like a Cessna 172, it gives them pause. Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by firefly_aviator View Post
    Completely agree with this, however, the few that I've talked to didn't even know what a Kitfox was. When I showed a friend of mine that had an interest in getting his private pilot, he was definitely curious, but also hesitant. I think because it doesn't look like a Cessna 172, it gives them pause. Thanks for your reply!
    Those people can't be saved.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by firefly_aviator View Post
    Completely agree with this, however, the few that I've talked to didn't even know what a Kitfox was. When I showed a friend of mine that had an interest in getting his private pilot, he was definitely curious, but also hesitant. I think because it doesn't look like a Cessna 172, it gives them pause.
    Then that's your answer, at least for the research you have done so far.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS