Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I still need float-rigging info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I still need float-rigging info

Sorry if this becomes redundant, but I haven't heard a word of response to a month-ago request for float-rigging info for my Zenair floats on a model IV. And I can't seem to get off a private message either. I know you float-fliers are out there, and I'm anxious to join the party. : )

Lynn Matteson

Default Re: I still need float-rigging info

Have you contacted Zenair? I can't imagine they wouldn't have info on how to mount their product.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I haven't contacted them, as their literature says to contact the airplane mfgr., which will be one of the next steps on the list. But I figured that contacting people who have actually hung zenairs on a model IV would be the way to go, rather than the McBeans, who probably have their hands full with the newer models, etc. I was just contacted by a person who gave me Paul Seehafer's phone number, and I'll call Paul, but that might be an imposition, so I'll wait a bit and see if he answers the group, then maybe the phone call will be in order.

Lynn

Call him. He's a friend of mine and I can tell you if there is anything he loves to do, it's talking about floats on a Kitfox!

(Be sure to first charge the battery on your phone and set aside a sizable block of time for the call.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi Lynn,

I can't help but respond after Larry's intro

So first things first, what zenair floats are you trying to install? Floatation -Size (1150, 1200, 1300, etc), and are they a straight float or amphib? And what is your empty weight, engine type, prop, and your climb rate on wheels? That info will help to determine optimum step placement, and throat angle.

Paul

We luv ya, Paul!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here is a You tube video on a Kitfox guy installing his floats this may help. I've never flown on floats so I am not sure if this is what you need. I finally watched the entire video, thank goodness he finally put on a shirt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9y9ct0MndA
    Last edited by Paul Z; 11-13-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

http://www.zenairfloats.com/gallery-i-diff-designs.html

There are several photos that may help out.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Hi Lynn,

I can't help but respond after Larry's intro

So first things first, what zenair floats are you trying to install?...Paul
    I have the 1150A (amphib) floats, going on a 660 lb. Kitfox IV, with Jabiru 2200 engine (modified) with Prince P-tip prop (64 x 30) currently, and it climbs at 900-1200 fpm.

Lynn

That is a great climb with the Jab 2200 engine. Previously I would have tried to discourage a jab 2200 amphib as unfortunately I've never seen one work well on floats. But it sounds from your performance numbers that yours could be the exception. And frankly, I would love to see one done to prove it will work, as that is a really sweet motor imho. Oh, and you also picked a great set of amphibs for the model 4. So if we can get this rigging right you'll be hanging out with the seaplane crowd before you know it.

Give me 3 or 4 days to come up with some numbers for you. I'm pretty sure I can get you pretty close to where you need to be with the rigging. Plus I'll try to show you how to make your rigging adjustable if you need to make some minor changes later.

There could be a quite a bit of information by the time I get done. Would you like for me to email it to you, or would you prefer I post it here?

Paul S
    Last edited by av8rps; 11-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.