Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: insurance doubled?

Default insurance doubled?

I just got the quote from Old Republic $914 for $1 million liability and $30K hull. It is about $100 less than I paid Falcon Insurance last year. I am a private pilot with about 800 hours in the KitFox.
    Last edited by Kitfox Guy; 05-09-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Default Re: insurance doubled?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Guy View Post
    I just got the quote from Old Republic $914 for $1 million liability and $30K hull. It is about $100 less than I paid Falcon Insurance last year. I am a private pilot with about 800 hours in the KitFox.
    what kind of medical are you using. trigear or taildragger
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    what kind of medical are you using. trigear or taildragger
    Basic Med, Taildragger
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Mine doubled this year for no apparent reason as well. I'm with the Falcon ins. agency through the EAA. It makes me mad, it's just liability, I fly from my own strip, usually alone, and most flights I don't land at a public airport. Not much risk for the insurance company in my case. JImChuk
    Sounds like your flying isn't too different than mine. Given that there is virtually no risk in the liability for your flying anyways you might consider "self insuring" aka none.

I probably would go without the insurance, but the lovely state of Mn (in collusion with the insurance companies maybe) requires me to have insurance. JImChuk

PS what really gets me is I'm partners in a Chief, I mostly fly my Avid since I rebuilt it last year, and also have the Kitfox 1 which barely got flown last year. The insurance for the Kitfox last year cost me more then the annual and fuel that went through it. No discounts for second or third aircraft like there would be with cars.

I probably would go without the insurance, but the lovely state of Mn (in collusion with the insurance companies maybe) requires me to have insurance. JImChuk

PS what really gets me is I'm partners in a Chief, I mostly fly my Avid since I rebuilt it last year, and also have the Kitfox 1 which barely got flown last year. The insurance for the Kitfox last year cost me more then the annual and fuel that went through it. No discounts for second or third aircraft like there would be with cars.
    That sucks. We don't have to have insurance but we have to be able to get it out of where you crash it. There's right around a 0% chance of damaging other people's stuff, but if I were to really bang it up, the helicopter ride out starts about $2k and quickly goes up with distance from town.

Has anybody that had their premium increase called their insurance carrier and asked for a specific reason why it went up?

I was told they are raising all the sport pilots insurance costs. Wasn't just me, they said. I think they know that they have us over a barrel and can do what they want. JImChuk

I have been following this thread with some trepidation. Mine comes up for renewal in August. One thought, though with self insuring. When I planted my airplane during an emergency - oil pressure to zero and yes it was not a gauge malfunction - and in the heavily wooded, hilly terrain of California's gold cointry - my wife and I both spent some time in an emergency room. There less than 5 hours each and the total bill was an astounding $65000. That was a serious reality check for us. Neither of us had life threatening injuries. Kay had a puncture wound in her leg requiring debridement and a broken thumb. I had a sprained ankle and a compression fracture in a thoracic vertibra. All these conditions merely stabilized in the ER. Any hospital time was billed separately.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I was told they are raising all the sport pilots insurance costs. Wasn't just me, they said. I think they know that they have us over a barrel and can do what they want. JImChuk
    Couldn't you just go get a private if that's the case? I mean if you have an airplane and a few hundred hours in it, you're not looking at very much money to do it. 10-15 hours of a CFI's time and fuel. Probably pay for itself in a year or two.
    Last edited by z987k; 05-14-2018 at 07:24 AM.