Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Gascolator on newer models

Default Gascolator on newer models

My KF 5 has a gascolator. However the build manual doesn't mention it. Do the newer models use a gasolator and if so, anyone have the instructions on where and how to plumb it in.......

Default Re: Gascolator on newer models

Jerry,

I like gascolators, but they are not usually used nor included with the newer Kitfox models to my knowledge. With the header tank having a “sump” that’s usually the low point in the fuel system, it does the potential “water in fuel” collection very well. The gascolators I have had, and have also seen on Kitfoxes, are usually mounted as low as possible on the firewall, and where the drain valve can be accessed/activated without removing the cowl. The fuel line comes from the header tank to the inlet of the gascolator, and out of the gascolator into the engine mounted fuel pump.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Was it originally built in Canada? It's required here. I had to add one to pass inspection.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

It Originally went to from the factory to Texas.

My KF 4 had a gascolator on the lower right firewall. I like the idea of having one, but I just can't see anywhere to mount it on the firewall and still be able to get to it.

If the movement has gotten away from using them, then I won't add the weight.

Have one on mine, (Model IV) Probably saved me an engine out emergency when the gas tank decided to dissolve

See Thread: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ank-repair-DIY

FYI I was flying it with the tanks like that, Lots of **** in the header, Gascolator screen had lots of debris in it, but it prevented the carbs from clogging up

You’ve got to have a filter in the fuel line, whether it’s in a gascolator or separate in-line filter(s).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I am a little wary of the gascolater on the lower firewall as both recent local kitfox accidents here have seen the gascolater damaged and the fuel dumped out. The fox I am rebuilding for my brother will have a filter on each tank feed for debris and the header will take card of any water. This systym is working well on mine.