Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox STI Wings for Avid Flyer

Default Kitfox STI Wings for Avid Flyer

Do any of you know if the Kitfox STI wings will fit an Avid Flyer Mark IV? I know the strut will need modification.

Thanks

Default Re: Kitfox STI Wings for Avid Flyer

The Avid Flyer STOL Wing is already an excellent STOL wing, doing most everything the STI wing does for the newer Kitfox. If you could fit an STI wing onto an Avid Flyer, which probably could be done with some fabrication, I doubt you would gain anything over the Avid STOL wing.

Trent Palmer did an ecxellent youtube video recently describing differences between a Kitfox STI and a Highlander. That would be a great video for you to watch as the Highlander wing is nothing more than an Avid STOL wing.

I know the Kitfox 4 and earlier models use the same 27 1/2" spacing on the spars like the Avids use. Don't think the later Kitfoxes are different. If you wanted longer wingspan, I wonder if those Avid Catalina wings are still available. Guy had them for sale for $4000 a few months ago. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a complete Catalina on barnstormers for $3000. JImChuk

Mark at Avid is a great guy to deal with too, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I know the Kitfox 4 and earlier models use the same 27 1/2" spacing on the spars like the Avids use. Don't think the later Kitfoxes are different. If you wanted longer wingspan, I wonder if those Avid Catalina wings are still available. Guy had them for sale for $4000 a few months ago. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a complete Catalina on barnstormers for $3000. JImChuk
    The Catalina wings are longer than the AVID C STOL wings?

I'm sure they are longer. I believe wingspan on a Cat is 33'. Avid HH is 29' 10 1/2" Look at my post on the Avid site. I had a link to a set of Avid Catalina wings there. 7 flaperon hangar brackets on Cat, 5 on HH wing. 2 jury struts on Cat, 1 on HH. JImChuk

I had the Catalina wings for sale a while back (they came with my kitfox when I bought it). Each wing is just over 16' long and cambered similar to the avid STOL wing.
    2011 Kitfox IV
    Jabiru 2200
    Prince prop