Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge Performance turbo 912

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Edge Performance turbo 912

Rotax's warranty on a new 912 uls engine is 200 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first . Any after market modifications void warranty.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: Edge Performance turbo 912

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    Rotax's warranty on a new 912 uls engine is 200 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first . Any after market modifications void warranty.
    2 yrs/200 hours doesn't seem like a great warranty, but that is the period of time when something is most likely to fail. I did read some negative commentary on the Vans website about getting Rotax to honor the warranty. I take anecdotal evidence at face value.

Regardless, I think established reliability and longevity is probably the stronger argument for stock Rotax than warranty. TBO isn't as sexy to talk about has takeoff distance, climb rate, and cruise speed, but it's at least as important. Does Edge have a stated target TBO? You can't replace the crank, cams, pistons, induction, and exhaust and claim the same TBO without solid data.

Again, I think that Edge's stuff looks like pretty good quality, and I've heard only good things about them. But engine failures account for twice the percentage of E-AB accidents vs Certified aircraft accidents. You should consider all aspects of how a conversion changes your engine, and if you can't quantify the effect on reliability and longevity, you should at least be honest with yourself about these being unknown quantities. Unfortunately, unlike horsepower that you can read on a dyno, reliability and longevity are stochastic quantities that require years (decades?) of service data to put numbers on.