Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to order

Default Re: Getting ready to order

I’ll probably be selling my 8.50s this fall. They are brand new right now and will probably only have 100 hours of grass operation on them by then. Might even sell them sooner
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hey, Josh. I might be interested in buying those 850's. Are they Dessers? I'd like right of first refusal. I have a pair on now with 1,225 hours on them.

Doug
    I’m a long way from needing the 8.50’s so you go ahead.

JoeG

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    Hey, Josh. I might be interested in buying those 850's. Are they Dessers? I'd like right of first refusal. I have a pair on now with 1,225 hours on them.
    They aren’t smoothy 8.50 FYI. They have an inner tube and tread. If you still want first right of refusal, you’ll have it!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'll take second right of refusal. I dont want smoothies. No hurry though. Just putting my name in the hat.

Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Thanks, Josh but I think I'm gonna stick with the smoothies. The 850s I have sling a lot of stuff under the wing as it is. I'm gonna prolly come up with some mud flaps like those I've seen posted here. Whoever posted those pictures, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post

****If you have to wait a couple months for delivery of your kit, see if you can have your build manual and maybe the PolyFiber manual shipped to you right away so you can spend time going over them prior to your kits arrival.
    I just went on amazon and bought the poly fiber book for about $13 I think. Kitfox has the manual on the website, so I just downloaded it and printed so I could peruse and make notes for when the kit arrives.

I have done the poly fiber book cover to cover, and have a game plan for covering and painting.

The construction manual has been nice to look at as well. Now that I have had a chance to read about rigging the wings, I have decided that it should be within my abilities and comfort zone to do myself. Obviously, it might not be the most current, but it gave me a chance to decide what options I wanted to order, and make notes to myself that can be transferred to the official manual.

I was happy to have purchased the Took Kit from Kitfox. The assortment of reamers, the long drill bits, the Cleco pliers and fasteners, and other items were nice to have.

You'll want to find a quality index of drill bits along with at least a dozen each of the #30 & #40. After tiring of dull bits, think about a Drill Doctor. Pleasant to work with sharp cutting tools!

A pneumatic rivet gun is very nice to have on hand. These items will be used fairly early in the build.

Building the Kitfox is a great adventure with wonderful support from both the factory and people on this site. Don't be shy about asking questions. My build has gone a lot smoother with this help. Enjoy the experience rather than focusing on the completion.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl

Thank you for the advise. It is greatly appreciated.

I have been sitting here at home making a list of the tools I will begin to acquire starting tomorrow. A drill index is on the list as well as a pneumatic riveter.

I had to smile when I read “enjoy the experience rather than focusing on the completion “. I used to build and fly remote years ago. I enjoyed the build as much or more than flying.

I have been watching your progress from the start. Nice work!

Joe G

Cool Re: Getting ready to order

I am considering going ahead and getting the Desser 8.50/6/4 when I order but I have one question first. Correct me if I’m wrong but do I use the same wheels? Pretty sure I read a post that said to use the same wheels, just wanted to clarify.

Also, as long as I’m at it I was thinking of using a T-3 tailwheel suspension. I’m unsure which would be the best tailwheel assembly to use. Two are listed in the Kitfox store: Tundra ABI 3200b and the Standard 3200 Kitfox (guess I could ask Debra what the difference is)
    On the Airframes Alaska site they recommend either a Scott or an ABI 3200 so I am not sure which of these would be the best option.

Your thoughts

Joe