Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

Default Re: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

Definitely lots of opinions, but you need to decide what is right for your flying. I would suggest the G5 too as a backup in lieu of a second 10" screen for the reasons already mentioned. Did anyone say it can drive the autopilot too.

Battery: You need at least one other battery other than the big main one. The #1 reason is to keep the G3X system/screen alive during starting; the screen will go blank and reboot if the voltage drops below ~10 volts. I originally had a second 5AH lead acid battery for this purpose (4.5 lbs with wiring). Last year I upgraded to a home made Lithium battery setup with a charger/balancer circuit board (the whole thing is under 1 lb.). This battery also powers my electronic ignition during the start when the main battery voltage goes low.

The other possible need for a second battery is to keep essential systems (G3X screen/sensors, ignition, lights, COM?, transponder?, trim?, etc.) alive if the main power source quits or dies. Again, you should read Bob Knuckles-Aero Electric information. You get to decide what is essential for your plane and type of flying. I designed my system (a single 10" screen G3X) so that I can keep going on the main battery for 2.5 - 3 hours if the alternator dies. I have a backup feed directly from the battery to the essential bus through an "emergency" switch. My main battery is an Odyssey 680 (~16 AH).

My independent backup is an iPad using the Garmin Pilot app. This gives me everything I need to get safely on the ground day/night VFR. The only thing I wouldn't have is engine instruments, but I feel the only critical one after starting would be oil pressure, and the chance of loosing that is about zero.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

That list is very much what I’m thinking of doing as well. Will you be making your own wire harnesses? Is the extra cost to order them worth it? Wiring scares me and not interested in frying any instruments. Where are you at?

Quote Originally Posted by wannafly View Post
    That list is very much what I’m thinking of doing as well. Will you be making your own wire harnesses? Is the extra cost to order them worth it? Wiring scares me and not interested in frying any instruments. Where are you at?
    I'm in the same boat for a GTX327 harness. I can buy the components for $60 USD and spend 3 hours making it OK, or I can buy one on ebay made by a pro for $300. It is a big price difference....The wiring should be pretty simple but piece of mind is worth something. It is the last wiring I have to do besides my antenna wiring. One other thing to consider is I want to build my harness to integrate in the future for the GDL88 ADS-B so I can fly in the states. I'm not sure how easy it is to get info on that if I did it myself..
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I've slightly modified my list above, but that said, I'm considering a full wiring harness custom made and tested from stein air. It's not cheap, but is it worth it - for me yes. Peace of mind, and time.

TCW, one of our great site sponsors, makes backup batteries for all glass panels.
    Also they provide comprehensive wire schematics.
    http://www.tcwtech.com

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

I’m building a G3X panel in my S7 right now too. Jason at Aerotronics in Billings MT is the best at this. They can design and cut the panel itself and they are experts at telling you all you’re going to need. I went to a 3 day school in Kansas City in January on installing the G3X - it was a great confidence builder in doing all your own install and wiring. Worth the $600 for 3 days.

Last edited by BillCuster; 05-14-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Do you have more info on that course. I wish I had known of that.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

It's at the AEA Headquarters in Lee's Summit, MO near Kansas City.
    Aircraft Electronics Association
    3570 NE Ralph Powell Road
    Lee’s Summit, MO 64064

They have many great Hands-on classes. The G3X Experimental install is the one I went to.
    https://aea.net/training/

BC

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    TCW, one of our great site sponsors, makes backup batteries for all glass panels.
    Also they provide comprehensive wire schematics.
    http://www.tcwtech.com
    Absolutely! Included in the design from the beginning. See that little switch above the ignition? SBY PWR!

Quote Originally Posted by BillCuster View Post
    Absolutely! Included in the design from the beginning. See that little switch above the ignition? SBY PWR!
    I just wired mine directly to the master switch.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO