Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Great points about what will "show" through the fabric. I'll remember that.

You bet! Anytime you're over this way let me know. I'll be spending a week at the factory and 3 to 4 days driving back. Then the work begins!

Clark

It's deja vu all over again.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    ...... The bigger lesson learned here is anytime a voice in your head says "The fabric will cover that", you best check it with your fingers. If you can feel it, it will show.
    I have a copy of the Poly Fibre video sold through EAA. The saying throughout it is .."if you can feel it, you'll see it".

After covering my RH wing, I know what they mean !. I reinforced my training edge with 3/8" channel section instead of the tubing, and you can see a faint ridge line. But it's on the upper surface so no biggie.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Weekly update

The left wing is really just the right wing all over again, but providing a build update weekly kind of helps me sustain momentum.

On the left wing, I installed the LS and JS attach brackets, false ribs, #2 rib, #1 rib-to-tank braces. I installed the trailing edge from ribs 1 to 3, and glued in tubular stiffeners. I installed the pitot mounting plate and fabricated a magnetometer mounting plate. I varnished all the wood, primed all the aluminum.

Next I'll do the LLE and wingtip mounting strips, then onto the Flaperon.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Because I'm close to where you are in the build, I freaked out .... thought I was looking at my own left hand wing sitting in the rotisserie right now !. You're making excellent progress Brian. Useful photos for other builders.
    David
    SS7 Builder

You're kind to say that we're close to each other in the build. You're substantially further along than I am, and progressing furiously. Our left wings are in a similar state though. Next week my wife and kids will be visiting grandparents for spring break. Unfortunately, I have to stay behind for work. The good news is I should be able to make a strong push on this wing next week. I hope to be well into covering it by the time they get back.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Couldn’t do this without my family, particularly my partner. She’s been incredibly patient, and she doesn’t even like flying !. But at the same time, it’s great to get the odd day when you have the garage to yourself to just immerse yourself in building. I, along with a friend who came by, had 2 days like that last weekend, which is why the build moved along so well.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Weekly Update

The week in reveiw:
    I installed the leading edge. So much easier the second time! I used 6 clecos in each rib, and enough blue painter's tape to move 3M's stock price. I also installed it and kept it vertical per Brandon Peterson's suggestion. The right one looked fine, but this one looks good.

Built/installed/removed the flaperon.

Installed the remote magnetometer. I didn't take a picture with the magnetometer actually in place, but here's the mounting plate:

I applied a bunch of blue goo (Super Fil) to fair the trailing edge stiffeners and the LLE transitions.

I started plumbing the pitot/AOA tubing.

OAT sensor:

I also had an opportunity to visit fellow Kitfoxer BobRS in Albuquerque yesterday where he gave generously of his time on a gorgeous flying day to show off his beautiful airplane. He let me poke and prod, take a lot of pictures and ask a lot of questions. He even had a printed sheet ready for me with a list of things he'd do different. I owe him.

This week I hope to have a pre-cover chat with our EAA tech counselor, sand down all those Super Fil-lets, finish installing the pitot tubing, and get back to covering.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Great going Brian. I see the amount of blue tape on the lower edge of the LLE. Looks like yours didn’t sit tight against the ribs just like mine. I did it slightly different. I put 2x1 lengths on edge along the lower edge and used clamps to pull down hard. Worked well. You’re powering along. Keep up the good work. And excellent photos.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Weekly Update

3 months and 250 hours into the build.

Tuesday I had a pre-cover visit from the EAA Tech counselor and a TC in training. They looked at my covered right wing, and seemed impressed enough. They also looked at the left wing and gave me the green light to cover, so:

Pitot tube:

And covering:

On the right wing, I had quite a few pinholes to fix over the LLE and fuel tank. So I used more Poly-brush pre-coat this time, and then, after the brushed PB coat, went around and smoothed any bubbles with reducer and followed up with more Poly Brush to fill the weave. We'll see if it's any better when I start spraying.

Near optimal 1" tape utilization:

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS