Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Dreamer

Default Aussie Dreamer

Hi All,

Just thought I'd say a quick hello. As with any good adventure, things started out rather harmlessly watching various YouTube videos. Somehow, I stumbled across this small red plane called Draco ($1M is not quite in my budget - pity). From there, I found some of Trent Palmers videos. My wife saw a few and remarked "ooh, that looks like fun". Taking this as an official green light (as you do), I've since had my head buried in these forums for the last few days, and have come to the conclusion that I've been "bitten by the bug". Reading through the build logs has been simply awe inspiring, and I can't wait to do the same ... it's going to be a while away and by the time I'm able to, KitFox will probably be up to Series 10 or 11, so I won't be adding any build pics any time soon, but that doesn't mean I can't dream for now.

I'm not sure how many (out side of Aus) will get this, but as Darryl Kerrigan once said:

"Tell him he's dreamin' ... "

I did do one flying lesson when I was in my late teens, and got a few hours in a "proper" flight sim while doing work experience (the perks of growing up in a "Navy (Airwing) Town". Now in my 40's (can I play the "mid life crisis" card yet?) I've started looking at getting my Pilots Licence, the first of many steps down this exciting rabbit hole.

I'm about 20mins or so away from what would be considered my "local" airfield, and have a few friends that either have or are in the process of getting their Pilots Licences too, so won't be totally on my own for that part. I don't think any have built there own kit plane though

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi, and let you all know to expect a few questions ... in a quite a few years time .

Cheers,
    J.

Default Re: Aussie Dreamer

Well J, there are 3 of us (who I know of) who have Kitfox 7SS Aircraft in Aus. One is flying and two are still under construction. All I will say is ...do it. You won’t regret it.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Welcome Jaster. No problem being a looky loo. We all start somewhere. I still recall seeing my first custom built plane, a KR2S.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks David, yes, I've noticed a few already in Aus for reading the build threads. Seems like Vic is the place to build a KF is Aus though ... Don't suppose you know of any land going cheap down there? Maybe somewhere with a nice clear flat paddock and a conveniently placed shed? ...

Thanks Eddie. Pity that looking is all I'll be able to do for the short term, but good motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaster View Post
    Thanks David, yes, I've noticed a few already in Aus for reading the build threads. Seems like Vic is the place to build a KF is Aus though ... Don't suppose you know of any land going cheap down there? Maybe somewhere with a nice clear flat paddock and a conveniently placed shed? ...
    If that paddock with shed was available, I'd buy it myself !!
    David
    SS7 Builder

HI Jaster welcome, there are a few of us foxers around, I have a nine yr old building his own "kidfox" with help and guidance from me. I have another fox I'm restoring/ building/modifying. Quite a few skyfoxes ( factory local built kitfox3) around as well. Keep dreaming, it can be!

G'day Jaster,

I'm in Mt Beauty, Vic if you ever want to have a look - Tom's in Tumut and a mine of info and a master of the rebuild. Dave is out at Moama and Ben in Sale are both close to finishing. Both these guys are masters of their trade so you will do worse than watch, listen and ask Q's of them - I know they will be generous with their advice. There are a lot of Model 4's around and flying too (one here alongside me in Mt Beauty).

I made a few posts to record my build (Oz Build SS7) which took 2 years - there are a fair few pics and details of the daily trials and tribulations but it is the end result of flying a great little airplane that is the reward for me. I have 400 hours on mine now and have flown it all over OZ - planning a circumnavigation for next year with a stop in at the 'Gong so might catch up then if not before.

Good luck with your decisions and choices. The only advice I would offer is to be VERY clear about the mission you want a plane to fulfil - no one aircraft can do it all but the Kitfox does a lot of things really well!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply. Great advice re being clear about what I want the aircraft to do, and no doubt this will evolve with time. For now, watching the Trent Palmer videos has been amazing, but not sure what the regulations are for just landing where ever you want over here in Aus ... somewhat different I would imagine?.

So far, I've organised my ARN (Aviation Reference Number). Next is to get the medical and then work out how to fit in lessons around work and family life.

I'm hoping I'll glean a better idea of what I want to do (and what I'm aloud to do) as I go along to help with that decision. I don't suppose there's any rumours of a 4-seater KitFox on the drawing boards? ... that would pretty much seal the deal if so

Definitely let me know when you plan on coming past, would be great to have a poke around a KitFox. I've got a pretty good idea what I'd be getting myself into from reading all the great build logs here, but wouldn't say no to seeing one in the flesh too.

Cheers,
    J.

Best of luck with the training Jaster - I am sure you will find it a great experience and achievement to get your licence. Plenty of time to decide on the right plane. Go to a few of the RAAUS and SAAA flyins and just walk around and talk to the owners/builders and you will learn heaps. As for the 4 seat Kitfox - I am not aware of any plans for that. However, if most of your flying will be bush flying with a few family/friend trips a year, then you may well served by having a Kitfox as your primary plane and just renting something like a C172 for the family trips when needed. They are for hire everywhere and a very easy aircraft to fly and family friendly.

Anyway, enjoy the journey!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

As always Ross, thanks for your wisdom and advice. I think the KF is the plane I want and as you say, can rent something else for the occasional "family" trip.

I've looked up RAAUS and SAAA, and will try to make a fly in soon.