Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: runway length question

Default runway length question

Hey Folks,

After a twenty year hiatus, I'm looking to fly again. I'll start working on currency with a CFI in a 172 real soon.

I really love the appeal of the STOL airplanes. We have a row crop field surrounded by woods where I can squeeze a grass strip of about 1,300' from tree to tree where the trees are approaching 100' tall.

I know how big a field can look from the ground and how small it can look from the air. However, I think rekindling my love of flying will be greatly enhanced if I can walk out the backdoor to my plane vs driving 35 minutes to the airport.

Is it realistic to think I can utilize a grass strip of that length consistently and safely? I'm in Tennessee about 400' MSL. We generally don't have unusual wind compared to other places.

Thanks for the advice.

Default Re: runway length question

The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe. These are very high obstacles bordering a short runway. With time and practice can you do it? Yes. Do you want to?

This will require your A++ game every time. With that length runway and that height of trees, this will be a no-go around situation.

Look at this video. Link. This is my home-strip. It's 900' long. There are 50' trees on one end (500' away) and 25' trees on the other. This is landing over the tall trees.

Departure will be a non-event.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe. These are very high obstacles bordering a short runway. With time and practice can you do it? Yes. Do you want to?

This will require your A++ game every time. With that length runway and that height of trees, this will be a no-go around situation.

Look at this video. Link. This is my home-strip. It's 900' long. There are 50' trees on one end (500' away) and 25' trees on the other. This is landing over the tall trees.

Departure will be a non-event.

Dang! Thats a neat little strip but man those obstacles make me cringe a little!

The strip would be no biggie if ya had a little less trees.

My advice is no. But if you buy the land with trees and extend your runway...

Some here may say OK.

Everyone has their own level of risk they are willing to take.

I like to have some sort of option for if something goes wrong.

If the engine quits on take off on that strip or at an inopportune time on approach you will be out of luck.

You did not say what type of trees or if you have access to them. Here is a very nonconventional procedure: I go to a field that is 1000 feet with 50 foot pecan trees at one end and clear on the other. The trees are in rows with space for a Kitfox between them. On approach I aim for that space just in case. I have not needed it for overrun. I have never taken off toward the trees but I have started my take off roll up in the trees such that I am near rotation speed when I emerge from the tree line.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

my advice is to give more room than you need, or runway. I say maybe you could do it in a couple years. the big word here is hiatus. in other words you haven't flown is years. dreams are dreams and this is where you need to leave this. yes the experienced pilot could do this. I consistently land mine within 500' on a regular basis. but I have over 2000 hrs in my kitfox. I say pass on this one.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cooper,

I believe the smart money is right on what has been said already and I would reinforce that.

First off, coming off a 20 year hiatus and testing a newly built kitfox - just plain no - IMHO. Most of us are not at the Jimmy Franklin skill level.

The shortest grass runway I have ever flown into is a 900 foot ultralight strip with no obstructions other than 12' corn on the end and slowly rising terrain on both ends; and that was after practicing on longer runways till I knew there was no doubt about getting in an out. Loading can mean a lot on a short strip; and, it will likely take more runway to accelerate on grass in any case.

A lack of clear space on the ends & sides of a runway basically means a person is screwed if there is one hickup (engine, wind, hawk-in-the-windshield, etc).
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

That 1000' runway would be a LOT shorter with 100 ft. obstacles. In fact in the
    video, I can already feel my cringe factor coming up, since it feels too close to
    the trees. I'd probably fly it higher and aggressively slip. But the GoPro always
    makes it appear that way.

Jeff

Beautiful place Larry
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thank you all for the helpful advice. And that video is worth a thousand words. I don't think I'll plan on my idea as a permanent solution. I don't want to takeoff and immedietly start worrying about landing there.

I may have found a much better solution. We have another field that is a very short drive. I can get 1500' between a row of trees and standard utility poles. It is open fields on either side of the obstacles. I may be able to take a section of the tree row out which would give me a 1500' runway with an extra 1000' threshold with no obstacles on one end. It's going to take a bit of grading though.

That would appear to be a much better option.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos