Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First flight after 582 OH

Default First flight after 582 OH

I have a KF II and have little time with the R582. It was overhauled and broken in on a test stand. I will start flying the first of march in Maine. The temps are pretty cold 20-30 still. I have been told to let the water temps get up to 140 before flight in the summer, I was also told I should block off my radiator in the winter. How can I tell on run up how much radiator to block off so in flight it wont get shock cooled in flight? Any help thanks

Default Re: First flight after 582 OH

Hi Keegan,

Can't advise how much to block off, but do you have a thermostat installed? It can go a long way in helping prevent a cold seizure on a 582.

-- Paul S

I second the above post make sure you have a thermostat in the engine, a 140*F thermostat will maintain that temp in the engine and you can start by blocking off a small section of the rad and increase the area as needed.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I do a bunch of flying at -10 to -20c and use a 160deg thermostat in my 582. Temp hangs in at 140 to 160f without blocking the rad.
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

I have know a blue head 582, but before i had a gray one so without thermostat and during winter at about 30°F i succeed to have an optimal temperature of functioning with an aluminum tape stick on the radiator hiding something like 75% of the surface.
    If it could help