Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Default Re: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    GSC pitch is measured at 75% of the blade length. Warp drive degrees of pitch is measured at the tips of the blades. My 503 is set at 11.5 degrees at the tip, I suspect the 582 will need a little more than that.

FWIW, you're not the only one confused by the warp installation instructions. I installed my warp prop with the skull cap spinner 16 years ago and the instructions about the face plate confused me too.
    Thanks Tom. I'm a little worried if I set it too low it may over rev the engine during break-in. Or if I set it too aggressive it may not rev enough to wear it in either.

I changed out the "face plate" for the spinner back plate and that worked fine. My issue is now the mounting bolt length and the length of the spacers inside the hub. If the hub pulls together enough to take the slack out of the spacers, which I doubt, the mount bolts will hit the gearbox. And what blows my mind is they include washers and lock nuts for the mount bolts but the crank shaft flange is threaded. But the bolt heads are not drilled for safety wire! Are you supposed to wiggle the lock nut behind the flange and somehow torque it to spec against the back side of the flange?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warp doesn't use safety wire to secure the mounting bolts. They use lock nuts on the mounting bolts instead. You torque the mounting bolts into the prop flange then tighten the locking nuts.

I don''t have the bolt tightening sequence instructions for the standard hub. Mine is the HPL hub and those instructions are to torque the mounting bolts first, then torque the blade clamping bolts.

In your photos the mounting bolt spacers appear to be kind of short. Better call Darrel like Avidflyer suggested and or send him those photos too.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Smile Re: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Just installed my warp drive yesterday. ALL of the instructions are available on warpdriveinc.com under downloads. I will also add the folks at warp drive are great to talk to as well as deal with they hooked me up with the missing pieces I needed. Mike

Thanks Tom. I'm a little worried if I set it too low it may over rev the engine during break-in. Or if I set it too aggressive it may not rev enough to wear it in either.
    It's trial and error. Darrel should be able to give you a setting that will be very close for your engine and gear box ratio. You set the prop up, warm up the engine good then give it full throttle. If the rpms are too high or too low reset the blade angle and try it again.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    It's trial and error. Darrel should be able to give you a setting that will be very close for your engine and gear box ratio. You set the prop up, warm up the engine good then give it full throttle. If the rpms are too high or too low reset the blade angle and try it again.
    I emailed the photos to Darrel today. He came back right away. What I thought was a "faceplate" was a steel reinforcement that goes in front of the rear blade support plate. That took up the gap in the spacers. And for safety, the washers and lock nuts are used on the mount bolts as you thread the mount bolts through the flange. They just barely clear the gearbox, but it does work.

After setting the blades at 11 degrees and torquing all 18 bolts, I'm kicking myself for not asking Darrel for a blade angle. That is a bit of a pain. I never thought I would have to loosen the mount bolts to adjust the blades.
    Jay

Don't expect to get your blade pitch right the first time. Pitch depends a lot on how you like to fly. Want to play STOL or cruise or something in between??

Warpdrive props are very easy to set. I did mine about three or four times before I got it "just right." Mine is a 912 ULS, but I 'm sure there must be recommended rpms for the 582. I kept easing mine back a 1/2 degree at a time until I was happy with the climb and cruise. So nice to have a prop that we can setup ourselves.

Regards
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Don't expect to get your blade pitch right the first time. Pitch depends a lot on how you like to fly. Want to play STOL or cruise or something in between??

Warpdrive props are very easy to set. I did mine about three or four times before I got it "just right." Mine is a 912 ULS, but I 'm sure there must be recommended rpms for the 582. I kept easing mine back a 1/2 degree at a time until I was happy with the climb and cruise. So nice to have a prop that we can setup ourselves.

Regards
    Rodney
    Down to the 1/2 degree? I was lucky to keep the bubble between the lines just set at a whole degree number. It was so hard to twist the blade without it jumping clear out of sight. If I had one of those big blade wrenches they use to twist aluminum props I could be more exact, but just twisting with my hands is tough.

I made a big blade wrench out of plywood about 3 or four inches wide by 3 feet long.. Cut out a profile of the blade on one end.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

As you are twisting the blades, make sure you are also pulling OUT on each one so the bottom of each blade is up tight against the stops. Once I ended up with a short blade, then realized one was not pulled out all the way.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos