Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Looks very good Carl.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looking real nice Carl. And it must be really sweet to have all that working space that I see in your photo.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Looking great Carl. Hmm I don't have those things and I only purchased 6 months before you. Things Change. We didn't have the STOL wing option either.

There would be more room if my wife wasn't determined to keep 1/3 of the garage as a parking space. I get revenge when she backs out of the air conditioned garage and her windows fog over! I keep encroaching and won't be surprised when "Do Not Cross" tape finally appears on the floor.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Your progress is really good Carl and that red is gonna make your airplane look very smart. Keep up the good work.

Maybe you need to build a second shed for the car ..... !
    David
    SS7 Builder

Horizontal stabilizer, elevator and rudder are covered and tucked safely out of the way. Now the wings are being prepped for covering, spending lots of time filling and sanding for a smooth surface.

We live in a small, friendly neighborhood and this garage window faces the street. A few friends are keeping track of the build - interested husbands and bemused wives. The red tail feathers on display will stir attention.

I think the gentle curves of the stabilizer made it easiest to cover. The sharper curves of the elevator makes the perimeter finishing tape more of a challenge. The rudder presents the interesting problems of how to cover around the three "pipes" at the bottom, blend in the flat area in front of the cable horns and, finally, do a neat job with finishing tapes. That is the order I would recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Starting to be a lot of red in the garage. Took just over a week of steady work to get the fabric glued and tightened. Now I have to burn holes in the fabric that I've tried to handle oh so carefully. Then comes the reputedly calming job of rib lacing followed by yards and yards of finishing tape. Or, this being Oratex, should I say meters?

Just as with a couple of earlier tasks, a nagging, "This is a big deal, don't screw it up", kept repeating in my head. But, all in all, it wasn't terribly difficult and I really like the red. Thinking of flat black on the painted surfaces to match the powder coating.

Working on covering gave the same feeling the first cleco job did. "Hey, now I'm really building an airplane!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hey Carl
    Have you decided on the type of lacing? Round or flat, dewaxed?

Despite having purchased the round Oratex unwaxed, I going to use the kit supplied flat waxed. As others have done, I'll run the thread through a clean cloth before lacing then clean the surface area with alcohol or some other solvent to get rid of wax residue. After the lacing is complete, I'll run blue painters tape along either side and brush glue before applying finishing tape - paying attention to drench each lacing cord. I haven't had any trouble with the blue tape and always pull it while the glue is still wet.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I attempted to video my technique on achieving the tight starter knot using the round. If you are using the waxed type you may not have the same difficulty of achieving the tight starter Knot. If you do have difficulty I will send the video..