Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logging Hours for Test Phase

Default Re: Logging Hours for Test Phase

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    If I remember correctly, AC 90-89A has included taxi tests as a task to be included in the 40 hours. (Just to muddy things up! Sorry!)
    When I flew off my 40 hours on both Model IVs i figured every minute I was seated in the airplane with the engine running, I was in Phase I testing. Oil pressure, temps, RPM stability with throttle inputs - everything was relative to the correct function of the airplane. When finished with the 40 hours, I, as the test pilot, signed it off and have never been questioned by anyone on the accuracy of the hours reported. In fact, when finished with the actual testing - climb, cruise, stalls, everything, I was still fairly early in the 40 hour required time, so did a lot if flying over a lot of scenic areas within the designated area simply to demonstrate reliability and comply with the requirements. My buddy who flew off his 20 hours in his Lancair 4 because his engine was certified accomplished the exact same thing.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: Logging Hours for Test Phase

I concur with Lowell. My A/W document states that I had to make at a minimum 5 TOs and Landings and it provided me with specific language for entry in the Aircraft log at the conclusion of the Phase I 40 hours as well as limitations (all within the parameters of the KF). The "5 take-off minimum" language was placed there by my FAA FSDO inspector (I didn't use a DAR to save $700), and the 40 hrs started with the 1st engine run after the A/W certificate. There are many things to learn with the engine running (calibration, EFIS settings, radio issues, prop pitch adj/performance, GPS, etc, etc, etc) and I counted every Hobbs increment. Total # of landings in 40 hours was more like 60 in all sorts of conditions. And for those of us who have gone on to Phase II (which was authorized in my A/W documents) no one has questioned how we've interpreted the time logged in Phase I - we just made sure we did it. I made all the measurements and resolved issues by ~30 hrs, so the last 10 hrs were 3, very long XC flights within my authorized test area.
    Fly On!
    BobRS
    KF N104Y SS7, Rotax 914 &
    Havin' Fun.