Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Dave, thanks for the suggestion of using the 1/2" sticky back, anti-chafe tape. I'll give that a try.

Doug, I have to give credit for being "meticulous" to the builders who posted ideas and solutions as they worked through their projects. The initial rudder pedal drag wasn't terrible and, honestly, I'm not sure I would have given it a second thought if others had not discussed it.

A lot of my confidence in taking on this project and my expectation of building a really nice plane, comes from the knowledge base and helpfulness of people in this forum. Of course, starting with a well thought out, very complete kit, and having factory support just a phone call away doesn't hurt.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Amen Carl. John and everyone here are very nice to have around.

Things slowed down at the "Airfoiled Vertical Tail Assembly" stage. After doing the horizontal ribs, there isn't really anything new here but the work went in small bursts with lots of idle time to catch up household chores while waiting for epoxy to cure. The ribs required very little trimming and the kit included more than enough strips for the rib stabilizers.

Rotating the fuselage 90 degrees on the rotisserie made the varnishing more convenient. I try not to load the brush but the thin varnish, foam brushes, and odd surfaces that grab and wring out a stream of varnish, make for an unattractive job. This time I taped the metal tubing around the ribs so it's a neater job than the horizontal ribs. Maybe I'll have the technique down when it comes to wing ribs.

I've been thinking about polishing the landing gear and decided to practice with the control sticks. Started with 220 and worked through 1000 grit with sandpaper that was on hand. Finished with the three stages of "BrightWorks" polishing compound. Maybe an hour of work and very pleased with the results.

Used an old dish rag and dish towels to polish and tossed the rags in the washing machine without giving it a second thought. Opened the machine after the load was complete to find a normally bright white drum and agitator smeared with black waxy polishing residue. Called my patient wife for cleaning tips and was handed a box of Mr Clean Magic Erasers. They worked reasonably well but, after she left the room, I grabbed a can of brake cleaning fluid, soaked a rag, and the washer was cleaned with a few wipes. Threw away the waxy rag, remembered to turn the cycle to Hot Water, and ran the towels through another cycle to flush the break fluid. "What dear? Oh, I think you're smelling the polishing compound." Make that my "very" patient wife!

Drilled the lower tabs on the rudder and installed John Pitkin's "adjustable rudder stop bolts". This is a very nifty idea. Next project is the rudder farings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

LOL Carl. The moment I read "tossed the rags in the wash" I new what was to follow. I have done that with shop rags before after changing the oil in the the cars. (speaking specifically of the oder) Surprising that you have made it this long without experiencing what women dislike about us! Im considering doing the same with my gear. I picked up some sample product at Airventure from Nuvite. Nuvitechemical.com. they were polishing very old dingy fuselage skins to nearly a mirror finish.
    Eddie

The lesson learned should be - don't do laundry!

It's a process that I've honed over 25 years. Shrink a sweater here. Bleeding colors there and before you know it you're banned from the laundry room!

It's been weeks since the last update. "Grownup" responsibilities sometimes get in the way of airplane fun and it's all too easy to let one missed day turn into two or more. But having the project in the garage / workshop makes it simple to put in an hour or two of work at odd times, so progress continues.

The fuselage is at the stage that it is time to mount the wings and the build journal shows 253 hours of work. That logged time doesn't begin to include all of the hours spent reading the forum, looking a pictures, and trying to decide how to best do a task. Repeatedly, something that seemed difficult, turns out to be straightforward once completed. And, once completed, these small tasks that can be so time consuming for a first time builder, just disappear into the overall project. I can remember how much time was spent fitting the cable guides, sanding down the tight fits and securing the loose ones with Hysol. And there was a day of grinding down the installed rudder pedal and flap detents, and repeatedly installing the console to make sure those controls move freely. I can begin to understand a builder never just kicks the tires and lights the fire during a pre-flight.

Several forum threads have been useful but I want to point out the step by step construction photos on Bob Meyer's Facebook page. Bob seems to have taken just the right picture at every stage of the construction. It's become a habit to reference his work when moving to a new task. I've sent him a private message of thanks and encourage others to view his album.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0c208e&theater
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

After posting the comment about Bob's photos I realized Tom Waid's (Tropical Tuba) website needs a special mention. Tom has pages of photos and comments on the assembly steps. He and I have similar backgrounds of, "simply messing about in boats", SCUBA diving, and appreciation of West System Epoxy. I enjoy his writing and link you to his home page so you can spend hours exploring rather than jumping directly to the Kitfox information.

http://tropicaltuba.com/

I'll quit now rather than get sidetracked linking to other informative threads and sites.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Thank you for mentioning both of those guys, Carl. I was aware and very appreciative of Tom's site, but didn't know about Bob's. I met him at OSH... he's a great guy, and he built a beautiful airplane. I'm not on Facebook (my wife spends enough time there for both of us), but I just went and looked at Bob's pictures - all 462 of them! I'm so impressed by people like these 2 (I know there are many others also) who have taken the time to so thoroughly document their projects and share them with everyone. What a great resource!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey Carl
    I was wondering where you went. I almost posted an inquiry only two days before your post. Im fixing to get to covering but I haven't received my Oratex fabric yet. Every day now is another day later than they proposed. Took the Sport Air workshop for electrical/avionics this past weekend. Not excited about the prospect myself so I will be ordering wire bundles to hook up things vs pinning every wire myself. I was going to offer up to you a hand full of the grommets that I used to pass the pitot tubes through the wing ribs. Personal message me with your address, I will send them too you. I have 3x more than needed. I had to order minimum of 50. I needed 12 to get the two tubes through but you may only need 6 if your using the kit supplied pitot tube. They have the exact spacing to accommodate the rib web. I couldn't locally purchase them myself as I couldn't find anyone who carried them. It is also helpful to get the holes done with a step drill before the tanks are installed as the step drill is long enough to enter the tank on the other side among other reasons.

Thanks for the offer of the grommets Eddie. PM on the way.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X