Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

One Laker Leading Edge down and one to go. I liked the look and the simplicity of the straight lines on Esser's project and decided to do the same.

The trailing edge of the glass was trimmed, 30 3/4" from the end of the ribs, to give a clean edge. The LLE is thin and can be easily cut with a pair of kitchen shear scissors. Clecos set the alignment, extra adhesive tape on the main ribs and small spring clamps on the false ribs held the mat against the ribs. On the bottom of the wing, the tape strips were wrapped around the spar to form the shape. Once the tape was in place, the Clecos came out and went through an acetone cleanup.

This isn't a difficult job and at this stage of the project, you'll have enough experience with Hysol to know you don't have to rush to beat epoxy cure times. There is a definite sense that this has to be done correctly and the LLE has to lay properly against the spar extrusions and the ribs. Once the Hysol cures it had better be correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Belt and suspenders approach to supporting the trailing edge bracket. Carbon fiber practice arrows came from Amazon since it was so much cheaper than any of the local sporting goods or archery shops. The full length shafts have some flex but short lengths, bonded in the trough are stiff as boards. One arrow was long enough to do both the channel insert and "extra" rib.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Certainly can't hurt anything, and the weight is negligible. Probably do that myself if I was building another one.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I took advantage of very early Spring weather to complete a few landscape projects to get them off the list before Summer. The brick yard weighs pallets to calculate a price so I know it took 6613 pounds of stones to line the shade gardens. And after moving that rock, I know my back doesn't shrug off that kind of work like it did a couple of decades ago. But the major yard projects are done so it's back to the plane.

I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I read and re-read the build manual instructions on installing wing tips before deciding they just didn't apply to the tips with the space for landing lights. I decided to position the tips on the metal mounting tips, make sure they were aligned correctly, and draw my own cutting lines by measuring a constant distance, nominally 1/4", from outboard of the rib capstrip. After thinking through this solution I realized the answer was probably already in the forum. Bingo! Esser and JohnB had this conversation, complete with pictures, back in 12/13.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...trim+wing+tips

I'll add pictures to show how the tip of the leading edge spar is cut away to let the landing light "pocket" fit flush against the capstrip. I know the metal strips are riveted / bonded until the wings are covered. Think I will postpone installing nutplates till then as well so the space taken up by fabric and tape won't be an issue.

Nice to be back working on the project.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Looks like we were working in unison today, Carl.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

Great to see your project Dustin. I've wondered how many builders were moving along at generally the same stage of the build.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Finally decided on a layout for the Oratex and got the fabric ordered. No word on an expected delivery date. It depends on what color runs the factory has in the pipeline and what happens to be in stock. Decided on Fokker Red to go with the flat black tubing.

Used High Fil as fairing material in places where the Laker Leading Edge meets the main rib capstrips and the stretch along the fuel tanks. The "short" edge of the LLE was a little rough in places so it's sanded down. And, once I started looking, there were several small Hysol and varnish stalagmites to smooth. Oratex has the convenience of not requiring paint. But that comes with the downside of not having a buildup of layers to cover up rough spots. Just like every paint project, prep is key.

Came up with a punch list of small projects to keep busy before covering. One of the projects is installing Garmin Auto Pilot servos. Kitfox offers an installation kit and copying their installation will save time and aggravation.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

While talking to either Debra or John I learned Kitfox sells a mounting kit for Garmin Auto Pilot Servos. As you would expect, the kit comes with an inventory sheet and the usual collection of labeled bags of parts - right down to a two tube, hand injector of Hysol.

With this kit you can completely avoid headaches from fabricating brackets, ordering rod-ends, and trying to figure out how to mount the servos. Both servos connect to idler arms with bushing as standoffs between the rod-ends. It took about two hours to inventory parts and test fit the servo brackets.

The only nagging concern is the pitch servo is mounted in the tail of the plane, just forward of the rear elevator idler arm. My plan was to cover the fuselage before installing instruments. It's going to be seriously aggravating if that servo doesn't operate.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Wow! Thats Clean. Wish I had asked John about mounting. I spent hours fabricating and fitting my servos which may look like crap to some but their in and accessible. I certainly never thought about mounting them further aft thats for sure. Easier.
    Eddie

I'm confused by the manual drawings of the cuts in the Tail Access Covers for the airfoiled tail.

I assumed the final plates will have cuts with backing strips so an access plate is removed from the tail buy unscrewing the nuts around the perimeter and gently bending the plate and slipping the stabilizer and elevator tubes through the cuts in the plate.

Surely I'm reading the drawing wrong but Final Assembly Page 61 shows the rear cut extending fully across the access plate with the backing strip only covering the bottom half of the cut. On page 63, the aft hole in the access plate shows a cut from the bottom of the plate, the continuing cut to the top is gone, but a new cut extends to the rear of the plate. In both situations a section of the access plate will be completely cut off.

The cuts for the Standard Tail make more sense. Each hole has a single cut running from the hole to the edge of the plate, with appropriate backing plates.

To add to my confusion, on page 59, the pattern for the backing plates shows rivet holes drilled on either side of the length of the plate for a total of six holes. The instructions for mounting the backing plates call for six rivets to secure the backing plates to the access plates but the drawing only shows three rivets per plate. Surely you don't rivet the backing plates across the cuts. Doing this would require drilling rivets to remove the access plates.

Clearly I don't understand this assembly. And the process has become like one of those optical illusions. Once you see it one way you're stuck until someone points out the oddly shaped candelabra is actually two faces looking towards each other.

Does anyone have pictures of these completed parts?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X