Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trim Actuator internal failure?

Default Trim Actuator internal failure?

So had an interesting situation today, on take off with full flaps and trim adjusted to take off position, when I rotated and started climbing out the trim suddenly and suprisingly jumped to full up. When I say suddenly I mean it felt like the trim actuator gears are worn to the point that would allow the jack screw to slip. I have under 400 hours on the airplane and I'm surprised that the trim actuator would be worn to the point of internal failure. I removed it and can't see any visible problems but I have confirmed the scenario three times in testing. Kitfox was unavailable today by phone. Does anyone have a source for the trim actuator assembly? I need to have it ready to go for HSF.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Default Re: Trim Actuator internal failure?

We have them in stock.
    I have not heard of or experienced such a failure.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I have had that happen to me several times, but it was because my thumb was on the trim button--unintentionally.

John,

I will take it apart and see if I can find the point of failure and be sure to send you any images. I hope to hear back from your office tomorrow and get one ordered up. Can you tell me if the one you are using on the current models is different than the one SkyStar used around 1998?
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox