Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing gear choices...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Landing gear choices...

I am building a 5 and it has the bungee gear. Haven't heard a lot of good things about these gear and am looking to move to either the grove gear or bush gear.
    I did a search on TeamKitfox and read through some history but didn't see anything that had a comparison between the Grove and bush gear.
    I have read a bit about comparisons of the Grove to bungee gear with the Grove being the "heavy" favorite.
    The Grove vs bush gear seems to be similar in the cost department.
    I'm wondering about the weight of the bush gear...
    I am leaning to the bush gear due to the mounting (looks a bit stronger) and I am thinking it might be a bit lighter.
    Looking for some informed opinions...

Regards
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Default Re: Landing gear choices...

I'm a fan of the Grove gear.

On my Yellow plane, when I converted from the standard bungee gear, Douglas wheels, Matco brakes and 20x7x8 atv tires to Grove gear, wheels, double puck brakes and Desser 21/800-6 tires, I had an overall weight gain of only 12 pounds.

I could make that up by skipping a couple double cheese burgers.
    (but I probably won't…)

IMO, well worth it. One person's opinion.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Mark me down as a yes for the Grove gear Jeff. Can't help much with the bush gear reviews. Zero time on those. If you need more prop clearance that may be the way to go and maybe a little lighter weight but you can check those numbers out with the factory but there is no denying the strength, simplicity and popularity of the Grove product on the Kitfox airframe.
    Hope you are progressing nicely on your build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Good point, Steve. I contacted and spoke directly with Robby Grove when I was building the Mangy Fox to find out if they could make a spring that was taller and still fit and function as originally designed.

They made a spring for me that is approximately 3" taller and 2" wider in stance than the standard model IV spring while still fitting the original mount. The model V spring is already made from thicker and wider material than the IV spring, so I would be surprised if they couldn't do something similar, if you need prop clearance.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Steve
    I have a couple questions in to the factory. With the 340 up front, weight will be a major deciding factor.
    I finally finished my panel and have the rest of the engine electronics ready to go in. Headed to the airport today to figure out where everything will go.
    I need to get my AP servos so I can get them installed. Will get them next week. After they are in, I should be ready to start covering the fuselage.
    The fuel system for my EFII won't work with a 1 gal header so I won't be using a header tank. Gotta run return lines back to both tanks and use a duplex valve.
    I was able to sell my Rotax FWF and Kitfox worked with me on piecing together a FWF for my 340. For that I was very grateful. Didn't need everything in the 233 FWF kit. I picked up a set of lift strut fairings too.
    At this point is is really just time to start putting things together!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thanks for the update Jeff. Keep after it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear