Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

That isn't a bad idea. Many certified planes have the ELT in the cargo area. The biggest concern I see would be the wiring harnesses and ELT switch; you need to make sure they won't get damaged when you have cargo. You could possibly make a cover or box and put the transponder and ELT inside to offer protection.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for the response Phil. And covering with a box is a nice added touch.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Many guys remove the baggage compartment and floor for every annual condition inspection. I don't personally do it myself because I have come up with ways to see the critical control rods and cables without doing so. Any electronics mounted inside the baggage area would make this annual removal a pain, especially the wiring harnesses and antenna cables that must pass thru the baggage wall. I wouldn't do it myself. There is plenty of room just outside the baggage area, either to the sides or to the rear. Just my thoughts.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I would agree with Jim. And if you use the "standard" Kitfox cargo "sack", ready access to the side areas, and an ELT there, can be easy due to the Velcro attachment of the sack along the edges.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Okay, okay, all excellent points about likely needing to remove the floor. And, even after cutting and sewing a slot in the bag for wiring, it's probably best to avoid disconnecting cables when not necessary. So it's back to constructing an aluminum frame with clamps to mount to the frame tubing.

As usual, the forum is a great resource for asking questions and getting quick responses.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Where you been Carl? I was considering calling to see what you've been up to? Too much Yard work?

It's been a long, cool Spring and my wife had several projects in mind. I got a little carried away on a couple of them, forgetting how little fun it is to move yard after yard of organic topsoil in a wheelbarrow. If I could bring myself to sell the pickup I'd have an excuse to hire people to do this sort of work.

The Kitfox has been getting some attention but it's mainly along the lines of small jobs caught here and there.

A SteinAir box arrived today with an assortment of boxes making up a G3X system - another complete puzzle to build. And I have unopened boxes from Oratex over in one corner. It feels like I've been more of a receiving clerk than a kit builder. Next steps are to install the ELT and remote transponder, then start playing with Oratex.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I put my Dynon remote xponder on one of the triangular shelves I installed behind the instr. panel.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Playing with Oratex can be really rewarding. I think you will appreciate the small steps towards being done with a part. Nearly finished a wing this week. Only leading edge tapes and end tapes remain. I have yet to determine if I have to order more tape. I will order 6" tapes if I have already enough 2" tape to cover the second wing to this stage. If I need addtl 2" tapes then I will just use it and the 4" to finish the leading edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Garmin GTX 45R Remote Transponder comes with a very nice, tight fitting, rack mount case. Once the case is mounted, the transponder unit slides neatly in and out with a cam locking mechanism. A photo from JohnB showed the transponder neatly mounted behind the pilot's seat but, once I started looking, the current version of the case only has mounting holes along the thin sides for horizontal mounting. Since the transponder fits so snugly, it's not just a simple matter of drilling new holes. There have to be dimples for the countersink bolts to "hide" in.

The installation manual mentions a vertical mount case as an option and, with fingers crossed, I gave SteinAir a call hoping for a case swap. Wonderful company to work with and "Chris" understood the situation immediately. In fact, he had previously investigated the vertical case for another customer. Garmin does offer the case, certified for helicopters, and selling for the princely sum of $1,500. I put the comma in so you wouldn't think I miss-typed $15. Chris offered the obvious solution of making L's to create mount. A few hours of cutting, belt sanding and drilling and the case is mounted. I'm amazed how much time can be spent fiddling with something like this. But I'm pleased with the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X