Supporting vendors:

Your ad here?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #341
Cherrybark

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

The airport does have an amphibian ramp and dock and a couple of planes use it. I'll stick with tires and grass. Surely a boat is in the future, but I'm already several birthdays ahead in "Dear, can I buy this?"
Cherrybark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #342
David47

This is whatís called living the dream Carl. Your new setup is going to be fantastic. But itís just a tad too far for me and others from down under to come and visit .... throw us a line so we drag Aus a bit closer ...
Airmaster CSP
David47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #343
aviator79

When you say build a shed, you really mean it! Definitely the dream right there. Congratulations.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #344
Paul Z

If Aero Estates wasnít so far from Dallas, Iíd consider buying a lot to build a house & hanger. Iíve flown over the airport a couple of times, and even landed there once. It is a really nice aviation community. However, I canít get my wife to move out of the Dallas Area.
Texas
Paul Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #345
Cherrybark

Just celebrated the second year anniversary of the build. At the start I kept a detailed log of hours worked and tasks completed. Those details led to such thoughts as:
  • Estimating 2000 hours for the build, 350 hours worked, 18% complete
  • Working an average of x hours per week, the project will be completed Fall '18 - probably Sept 17 at 3pm.
I didn't go so far as to draw a Gantt chart but the project management background was definitely in full gear. A few months in, I intentionally stopped keeping the detailed log and went from "working" to build a plane to simply enjoying the project. The progress undoubtedly slowed down but the fun factor went up.

At this point the plane is covered, sitting on the gear, instruments and wiring complete, and the Firewall Forward manual is opened to page one.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #346
mr bill

Now that I am retired, projects no longer have schedules.
mr bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #347
efwd

Good to hear your getting onto the engine. If I don't get my butt out there and get this wiring done you will have closed that 6 month gap I had on you when you got your kit. AS&S should have my harnesses done end of next week if all goes as planned. They are working in their brand new 3000sq ft avionics shop so I suppose there is a chance they will be late with the harness. Hopefully my Tech Counselor will stop by and answer some (a lot of) questions. Im currently anticipating an August or Sept completion. Keep it up. The engine is fun to install. It will come together fast.
Eddie
efwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #348
Cherrybark

Work continues on the hanger. Actually, the crew is building two hangers so work stops and starts through the various phases. The concrete pour was a big event. One of the area dogs, that seems to be a stray but looks pretty well fed, ran across the first section just as it was being smoothed. Easy to repair and, having learned his lesson, he didn't repeat the stunt. Rented a crane from an area sign company and the trusses went up in day. The purlins went across the top to straighten every thing up and the FoldTight doors were delivered in late this afternoon. The FoldTight pallet looks large because there are 26 panels for the two hanger.

On the plane, I think all of the finishing tape has finally be completed - but I've thought than before only to notice a missing piece. The brake lines are installed. I'm not wild about the pulleys, springs and tubing passing through a tight space but pictures show others have done the same routing with no reported issues.

Finally, the engine was delivered this week. Popped the top off the box but haven't unwrapped anything. Firewall and cowling starts the next phase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Doors Arrived.jpg (36.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #349
DesertFox4
Administrator

Looking good Carl. Will be a sweet set up.

DesertFox4
Admin.
Building 7 Super Sport
912 ULS Tri-gear
DesertFox4 is online now   Reply With Quote