Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kiev prop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kiev prop

I had to get rid of my Kiev prop I just just received it last week to replace my Warp. Damn it was beautiful !!!!
    It just wouldn't perform as well. The dealer told me that I was the ONLY one of more than 500 props he has sold that did not get at least a 5-10 mph increase in cruise speed (that figures)
    Here are the numbers:

KIEV:
    (1) 12 degrees pitch, 4800 static,100mph at 5000rpm,5500 max throttle
    (2) 11 " " , 5000 " , 90 ' " " ,5800 " "
    (3) 10 " " , 5200 " , 80 " " " ,would exceed 5800

Notes: The pitch settings are per Kievs pitch adjustment tool not actual angles,the Kiev was 1 lb lighter. The Kiev was a whole lot smoother (like a turbine). During approach it took 2800 rpm to maintain 55mph approach speed vs idle on the Warp. ( kind of like going prop full increase on a constant speed) This was fine as the Kiev is a broader aerodynamic prop vs a slab. It was smooth,smooth,smooth !
    WARP:
    (1) 5200 static,90mph at 5000 rpm,5700 full throttle

Conclusion: I LOVED the looks of the Kiev but you can look only so much so I went back to my Warp. Bummer !! If I could have reached 5200 static (required) and the same cruise speed as the Warp,I would have kept it in a heartbeat ! I think the round cowl on my Fox is probably the reason I didn't get excellent results. The blade twist on the Kiev starts right at the hub whereas the twist on the Warp starts further out resulting in more air being stuffed into the cowl with the Kiev and more drag. (my theory anyway)The CHT and Oil temperatures were sure cooler with the Kiev
    The production on these props is pretty well sold out for the next 3 months as it is a pretty popular prop in this area of the country. I sold it in an hour.
    Dick Maddux
    Rotax 912 UL
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images