Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox lift strut fairings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox lift strut fairings

I have been told that a member on this forum gained 10-12 Mph cruise on his 503 powered model 4 kitfox by adding lift strut fairings.
    What improvement might I realize with a 80HP Jabiru and 520 pound model 1 Kitfox with 1 inch lift struts if I install strut fairings?
    Does anyone have contact info for this member.
    Thanks Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

Default Re: Kitfox lift strut fairings

Herman, that has to be me. I gained 8 to 10 mph cruise speed by installing the wing strut PVC fairing. It was about 75 mph without fairing and about 85 with fairing. I suspect with the 80 horse power you will get at least that much increase in speed.

My Model 4 weighed 561 before the fairing and 573 after.
    Last edited by t j; 04-26-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

For Kodi, I saw your question on where I got the fairing but can't figure out how to reply there. I purchased the fairing from Kitfoxaircraftllc The fairing is on page 56 in the online catalogue.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Ya I saw a aerodynamic test on youtube, it clearly showed that a round tube has 9 times the drag of an aerodynamic tube with the same diameter. 9 TIMES !!!!

Tom
    I appreciate your response including how much weight was added.
    My original model 1 lift struts were 3/4 inch dia. with wooden fairings.
    How complex are the PVC fairings to install?
    I assume structual adhesive is used.
    My concern is how to blend the PVC where the 2 struts merge.
    Does the PVC get painted or covered with fabric?
    Thanks Herman

Hi Herman, I installed the PVC fairing on my Model III and it gave me a nice increase in cruise speed. The Model III also has 3/4" struts what I did was wrap the struts with wing leading edge tape (its about 4" wide and heavier than electrical tape) about every 16" wrapped it to 1" diameter. The PVC fairs just slip over the strut tube and snap together no need to glue them I just left the white no paint no fuss no muss. As for were they came together I just trimed them till the would fit on the aft ones it requires a longer taper so you don't hit the fuselage when the wings are folded I bent5 up some 0.020" alum and screwed it to the fairing to cover the taper opening. I did make strut cuffs for the top and bottom ends out of 0.020" alum, what I use for alum is roof flashing its available in 6" or 12" rolls in various lengths I use the colored (white) for some reason its 0.20" vs about 0.15" for the unpainted availible at home building suppliers like Menards.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ