Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Denali

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

I think what will be interesting is to see if many of the manufacturers like Just, Rans, Kitfox, Backcountry Super cubs, etc begin to use it. The weight and application time savings are considerable.

This will be something to ask at Oshkosh 2014.

I was unable to get a firm price on materials to recover an Avid/Kitfox size from the manufacturer or US distributor at OSH last year, as they did not have an appropriate plane-specific materials list figured at that time. All I got was "subject to exchange rates" and "approximately 20% less materials cost than competitors".

The attached 2011 Poly Fiber materials and price list says an Avid/Kitfox covering kit cost $2,470 suggesting the Oratex covering cost should come in ~$1,976. Very curious just how accurate that figure might be.

Has anyone even got definitive info regarding a materials list and total cost for a Kitfox yet or, better yet, actually purchased the product?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Reading their website, believe they say the fabric is more expensive but in the long run, it will be less counting not having to buy equipment, chemicals, etc. The polyfiber quote is minus paint. The new covering is paint free (but can be painted). If I were covering a light, slow aircraft, I'd seriously consider using their product. You could dress it up with decals.

Doing some reading the cost of materials to do a super cub is $6000 for everything but the wings-$9000 total including the wings. They claim the labor and painting costs offset that. Would probably worth it to not have to paint it then have chipping and cracking issues down the road. But they admit on their site no real long term testing has been done to see how it fares with the elements. They do mention having good luck with it on cubs in the extremes of Alaska.

I would have 3 concerns about the Oratex:
    1. Does it have enough silver UV protection built into it? In my Polyfiber process 3 cross coats (6 total coats) of silver were used.
    2. If you were using it unpainted, and had a color scheme where you need to change color along a structurally unsupported line, you would have to make an unsupported seam along that line. How durable is that seam?
    3. All the finish tapes would only be held down by one application of glue. Again I think of all the layers of Polybrush holding my finish tapes in place.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi TeamKitfox members,
    I just recently read an interesting article in the January 2014 issue of EAA Experimenter (see link) about a STOL-plane covered with Oratex that I thought I shoul share with you all.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/247918

The builder/pilot wanted to reduce the weight and used Oratex and he was very positive about using it again.

In the article it is written that the plane unfortunately burnt down in a hanger fire, but there's no further comment about the effect from fire on the covering.

Maybe the builder/pilot would be willing to share some experience about covering, durability, the effect from fire on the covering, etc. if he's contacted?

If all charactertics descibed in the datasheets are valid, it would be very nice to use the Oratex covering. Imagine the weight reduction and not having to paint more than the aesthetics?

Later on I will try tro find out more about the German company who's producing the material.

Check out these videos on Youtube, thay covered an AN-2 Russian biplane with ORATEX 6000, I've seen it and it look great.

Also check out the Kiebitz from MENS, it's covered with Oratex as well.

Greets from Germany
    Tuna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ee1tWDdfbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DlZGL28Y2s

I made the statement that Oratex was not translucent... in looking at the sample I have, it appeared to be opaque. My apologies to Highwing - you were right Lowell. When you get the bright sun shining through it, the structure behind can be discerned. I would guess that the 600 material would be more translucent than the 6000 that I have. It sure is very tough stuff though - I covered a test structure with my sample, & after I extracted my foot from my mouth, I stomped on it (the sample), hit it & poked it. It can stretch a little with such abuse, but a heat gun shrinks it right up again. It is more puncture resistant than Poly-Fiber/Ceconite also, as well as lighter & scratch resistant. Easily field-repaired.
    Has anyone on this forum used this material yet? It would be great to hear of experience. I've talked to a fella' named Roger Peterson, in Texas, who has covered a couple of Cubs with it. He loves it. My understanding is that there is one aircraft that has been covered with this material for 10 years at this point, and is looking good.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

If it is even somewhat translucent I don't see how it could possibly be UV resistant. The Polyfiber manual has you putting on multiple coats of the silver UV Polyspray until you can't see any light with a 60 watt bulb on the other side of the fabric. Maybe I am missing something here-is there a way to filter out all UV rays with a translucent material?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The goal of UV protectant (in this case) is to protect the covering material, not whatever's on the other side. On a window you are protecting the stuff on the inside of the window (furnishings, carpet, etc.). The Polyfiber method is simply used for a layman (home builder) to discern if you have enough coverage for their method (and is likely overkill). I'm suspecting the Oratex pre-impregnated material is more efficient (being factory applied) and (I believe) it has been tested to ensure it's adequate for it's intended purpose.

Greg