Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Exhaust leak

Default Exhaust leak

I have exhaust leaks in my ball joints that need attention. I have searched the site and the answers are limited. Lapping the joints was suggested but I am looking for any other suggestions. I tried 'muffler mender' but the leak is small so the putty just flaked out. ANother idea is the putty and then doing a muffler wrap like used on racers but it would look tacky in my opinion. I guess it will be under the cowl and not visible but I will still know it is there. Ideas?

Default Re: Exhaust leak

Had similar problem and found exhaust port on cylinder head wallowed out to the point where it intruded the studs. A quick fix was wrapping braided grounding strap around ball joint to keep vibration to a minimum. Ended up replacing cylinder head.

Next time, be sure to do preventive maintenance on exhaust clamps ensuring they are tight. Look for exhaust discoloration on engine mounts for exhaust leaks.

Might be able to find used replacement cylinder heads from the group like I did.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

I had the same issue. I bought new male and female ball joints. Just cut off the old ones and weld on the new ones. I paid a guy at a muffler shop to do it. He bought a mobile welding rig to my hanger. Just make sure the new ones one line up correctly by tacking them first.

John Mozingo
    Kitfox 2
    Rotax 582

Hello,

I wrapped an exaustbandage around the balljoint, my leak was only by the upper connection. During enginerun the bandage is getting hard and after that it's leakproof, the Bandage is useable until 1000 degree celsius. At first enginerun it could smell inside the cockpit, but only a few minutes.

Olaf
    Attached Images Attached Images