Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox on floats or skis?

Default Kitfox on floats or skis?

Hi all, just a couple basic questions on this.

I've been poking around on some LSA sites but so far haven't found a specific answer to the requirements for float flying with a Kitfox/LSA.

I have minimal float plane experience but think I would like to get into it. I'm currently starting on a seaplane rating in a 172 to see if I want to go that route as well as gaining experience. Assuming I go with a Kitfox/LSA, outside of insurance requirements, do the Feds require a separate LSA type rating?

Same kind of question for skis. I pretty much know the drill from Super Cub time on skis, I assume it wouldn't require anything special to do, but just want to make sure.

Also, any general thoughts on floats? Are Kitfoxes basically "float ready" or is this something like a Cub where attach points need to be welded etc? What model floats would be "recommended"?

Any recommended "Kitfoxes-R-Us" type companies where to shop for mods and goodies or is it pretty much just checking specific sites like Edo to see what they offer?

Again, thanks for any info.

Default Re: Kitfox on floats or skis?

Jim, I too have that desire to get my feet wet. The Kitfox makes an exceptionally good floatplane.
    I believe every Kitfox model made with the exception maybe of the Vixen have float attachments already welded in place. Some builders have removed them but they all came with them. They are as "float ready" as any aircraft can be. With doors on both sides of the fuselage they are easy to dock from either side. Many different brands of floats have been used on the Kitfox. A good person to talk to would be John McBean at Kitfox Aircraft. John has many hours of float time in Kitfoxs. 1-208-337-5111
    Kitfox Aircraft floats.jpgKitfox Aircraft Kitfox on floats.jpg
    SkyStar Kitfox 6 on floats.JPG
    tn_KAphotogallery (100) floats.jpgtn_KAphotogallery (104) floats.jpg

Photos from Kitfox Aircraft LLC. photo gallery:Kitfox Aircraft LLC New Photo Gallery

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I just bought a Kitfox IV-1050 (582) and I'll be putting her on floats next spring. I'll keep you posted on my progress but from what I hear the kitfox is a great seaplane platform.

Regards,

Jason

I don't believe you are correct in your interpretation. For fixed wing sport pilot legal airplanes, there are 8 catagories. Those 8 are devided into 2 groups, those that have a maximum speed at VH of 87KCAS (100MPH)or below and those that have a maximum speed at VH of 87 KCAS or above. In each of these two groups are tricycle gear, tailwheel, ski equipped, and float equipped. If you get an endorsment in a particular group, (for instance, tailwheel 87KCAS VH or below, (AP-2) you are leagle to fly any aircraft that meets the requirments of that group. by your defination, no sport pilot could fly a single seat plane. I trained in a 65 HP Champ and have the lower speed taildragger rating. I will try to attach a chart I downloaded off the FAA wesite listing those different sets of aircraft. I do hope you can't prove me wrong, because I've never had a sign off in my Avid, only the Champ. I know at least 3 other guys in my area who are in the same situation as I am. That is they trained in one plane and are now flying another. Originialy, when the SP regs were proposed, it was going to be the way you said, but when the final regs came out, it was devided up into the 8 groups. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

My uderstanding on listing the make and model is to show that it comforms to the class and catagory you get the endorsement for. The chart I posted is also from the FAA website. I can dig up the link if need be. Don't mean to be argumentative, I know there is a lot of confusion about SP rules and regs. Back to my question, how would a sport pilot ever be able to fly a single seat airplane? Take care, Jim Chuk

Back to my question, how would a sport pilot ever be able to fly a single seat airplane? Take care, Jim Chuk

In looking through some of the regs I did find mention of an examiner being able to administer a checkride by observing from the ground. I don't know all the details but apparently it can be done.

Rich

I found an Advisory Circular . Once you are checked out in a make and model in one set of aircraft you can fly other aircraft in that set without additional endorsements. Advisory Circular 61-65E addresses it. I did not know about the 87K speed divisions for LSA until you mentioned it.

Rich

d. Sport pilots will require an endorsement to fly at least one make and model of light-sport aircraft within the same set of aircraft. Once an endorsement is obtained for a specific make and model of light-sport aircraft, the sport pilot can fly any other make and model in the same set without any additional endorsements. The FAA has established a list of sets of light-sport aircraft, which is available online at http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...craft_sets.pdf. (See section 61.1(b)(14) for the definition of “set of aircraft.”)

Thanks for the reply Rich. I kind of think the 87 KCAS division should have been lower, mybe 75-80 MPH or so. That would have seperated Quicksilver and other draggy ultralight like planes from the faster somewhat different handling planes. Right now some of our Avids and Kitfoxes could jump from the slower catagory to the faster one by streamlining the struts and gear and putting on smaller tires and a cruise prop. (or even just one of those things mabe) Or for that mater, vice versa. When I finish my Kitfox 4 with 912, I'm planning to fly it in a draggy configuration and climb prop setting to keep it under the 100 MPH speed untill the Phase 1 hrs are off and then try to get the higher speed endorsements in it. Kind of goofy how things work, but I think it will be legal. Take care, Jim Chuk