Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean straight cuts in the instrument panel

Default Re: Clean straight cuts in the instrument panel

Dorsal has an advantage in his location ..it's loaded with metal fabrication and machine shops .. I owned 2 shops north of his location back in the late 80's early 90's,..and some things that I couldn't do in a timely manner I sent to central and eastern Mass, or Vermont.
    Wise choice Dorsal ^5,..for the minimal cost it's well worth it,..especially if you let the shop do the job as a fill in ( as a job that isn't on the red list,..and a fill in when they are waiting on other components etc to finish a another job)
    I have done it by hand and got the scars to prove it too,..I opt for the easy way now

Chase

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is water-jet cutting. From what I have seen, CNC water-jets make the cleanest cuts in metal that I know of. I made a panel in a composite class out of carbon fiber and I'm just cutting it myself with a dremmel and a mini diamond saw disc. It works great
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Flycutter with drill press, and a step drill. It's very simple.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Almost all of my cuts will be rectangular save for one back-up airspeed indicator. for all the smaller holes I will use a step drill as suggested. I will post a picture of the panel when I get everything mounted in it.
    Thanks for all the input
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I agree with Dan...water jets make awesome cuts but they are a little harder to find than the laser. I also agree with Jon that a flywheel cutter works great to but I have to disagree with it being cheaper than the laser cutter. I bought a flywheel cutter for $12.95 (make sure it is for metal not wood) and then cut a bunch of holes in my first panel. The $12.95 is definitely cheaper than the $35 I paid for the laser cutting but when you consider the fact that it will take you at least 2-3 hours to cut and debur your instrument holes, drill the switch holes, and cut the rectangular holes for your stack the laser becomes much cheaper, unless you assume your time is worth nothing which I think is a terrible assumption. I would definitely talk with your local machine shops before you start cutting...you may find that the convenience and precision is well worth the money...I know I did.

Said I would post a picture so here it is, not as fancy as the one above but I think it will do. (still to be painted)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal, very nice layout. Such beautiful panels you guys are turning out. Makes me want to start over again with an all new layout for my Model 4.
    Since 2003 when I finished mine the available options have multiplied exponentially and what a great problem to have. Jeff and Dave, your panel is the more conventional layout and very attractively done and has an appeal to an "older" pilot like myself yet I can't help also be drawn to the minimalist looking and information rich glass panels like Dorsals and others as of late. Maybe interchangeable panels depending on the mood is the answer.
    Either way it would be a joy to spend as much time behind either as possible. Argues for pulling the throttle back a little and extending the time between stops. Maybe a new feature is born. Instrument panel of the month. Keep up the great work guys and thanks for sharing the nice photos. It really is inspirational to those approaching their panel projects or still just in the dreaming stages.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I could interject my envy,..and kick dirt because I haven't got my plane yet ..but rather then sit here with drool trails running down my chin and pouting ..I'll just say one word ..

SWEEEEET~!

Chase

Dorsal,
    VERY NICE panel.

Yes, very nice. You are going to love the 696. I have that in the RV. Once you figure out the buttons, you can do things very fast with it. I go out on occation and find private fields. This unit shows them all. If you get the weather, you will love that as well.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop