Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake line routing through fabric

Default Brake line routing through fabric

I'm looking for pictures of how people have made the brake lines pass through the fabric. I tried searching that on the forum and came up empty.

Does anybody have a good picture of this. I want to have fittings at or near the fabric so I can disconnect the brake line if I ever wanted to remove my landing gear.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: Brake line routing through fabric

I don't have any pics, but what I did was cut some aluminum sheet with a
    hole for the line to pass through, and then glued it to the fabric.

Jeff

What I did (as per the instructions as I recall)
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/pic...pictureid=2410
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

This is what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil,

This is with the grove gear on a S7 trigear....

Here is a photo of the Starboard side where I ran the tubing through the fabric just in front of the rocker on the gear leg (approximately 2 inches from the end of the rocker). The idea for picking this spot was to put the penetration in line with the centerline of the rocker to minimize the amount of vertical motion the joint is exposed to due to gear flex. Second point is this location goes through the fabric where two pieces of tape overlay so no need to have a separate fabric reinforcement (per poly fiber manual). The red stuff is a dollop of red RTV to seal and hold the line at that point.

Second photo is the outside of the same penetration looking from the front. On the outside the tubing makes a turn towards the 90 degree fitting on the gear leg.

Port side is similar but don't have any photos of that.

PS - the white tape under the zip ties in the fuselage is hockey stick tape - a frugal choice to keep the zip tie from sliding or wearing on the tube.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, Minnesnowta

I used plastic cable fairings from Aircraft Spruce. Put in two sets, one for trigrear and one for tail wheel.

Thanks guys, this has been helpful. The Grove gear is different on my model 5. It doesn't have the threaded hole and gun drilling like yours does. You have a nice solid point on the gear leg to attach the line to.

My gear leg just has a half round flute cut out on the trailing edge of the gear leg that the brake line gets glued in. The instructions say to make a hole in the fabric, glue a rubber grommet in the hole and use brass elbows through the grommet. The problem is that the Nyaflow brake line is really stiff and is going to put pressure on the grommet and fabric. I'm concerned about it pulling out or tearing the fabric.

I think I need to glue some aluminum to the fabric like Jeff (N85AE) said and create a hard point to solidly attach the brass elbows.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

PapuaPilot,
    I know the drawing is crude at best, but perhaps this will give you an idea and spur a thought/direction. If possible, install a doily re-enforced thru grommet in which you could install AN fittings to make this possible. The AN Fittings with proper washers clamping fabric may suffice, but I would re-enforce fabric with a small doily. This should allow installation without over stressing the brake line and remove the risk of the fabric being damaged from the rigid brake line shifting. Just my 2 cents...

Brake Routing to Grove Gear Pic.jpg
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

While I was building my SS7 i had the same question. How to make the tubing make a 90 degree turn below the floor board and pass through the fabric. John McBean explained how to put something like a large gauge copper wire in the tubing to keep it open, heat it carefully but dont kink it, and bend the tubing and wire to 90 degrees then remove the wire. With little or no experience with this I did it, I had a 90 degree bend, the tubing remained open and it has worked very well for 106hrs now.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Don't forget that the Grove gear flexes maybe up to 1" in this area so the brake lines must be able to also move this much without pulling/pushing too much on the fabric.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS