Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K3 Data Plate Location

Default K3 Data Plate Location

OK, screwed up my data plate, stamped out my name wrong, don't match my registration, Other than that, where are you guys locating the ID plate. Thought I read somewhere it needs to be either at door frame or tail section and readable from the outside on the ground. I'm not seeing a lot of options here for a fabric plane. Any suggestions?

Default Re: K3 Data Plate Location

FAR 14 CFR 45:11 gives the requirements. (Behind rearmost door, or on the tail surfaces) I've seen some that were riveted to the aluminum that closes off the hole under the horizontal stabilizer. That is what I would probably do. Jim Chuk

The last part of subpart 2 below is where fabric aircraft can be a challenge.

To meet this standard, I made the data plate of stainless steel with an equivalent sized stainless steel backer for the other side of the fabric and attached a D shaped stainless steel loop riveted to the whole business around a tube behind the fabric - spaced so nothing rubs on anything. Located it below the HS midway between the bottom of the tail access hole and bottom of the fuseelage.

Dave s
    45.11 Marking of products.

(a) Aircraft. A manufacturer of aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must mark each aircraft by attaching a fireproof identification plate that—
    (1) Includes the information specified in §45.13 using an approved method of fireproof marking;
    (2) Must be secured in such a manner that it will not likely be defaced or removed during normal service, or lost or destroyed in an accident; and
    (3) Except as provided in paragraphs (d) through (h) of this section, must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces.

I am doing the same as Dave S. I glued an aluminum piece to the inside of my fabric under the horizontal stabilizer that I will rivet my data plate to.

If you put your data plate on a removable panel it doesn't meet the standard of CFR 45.11 (a)(1). Most likely the DAR will not allow it to be on a removable panel.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Mine is as stated by Avid Flyer, riveted on to the removable aluminum panel under the horizontal stabilizer. Been there for 20 years now.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Mine is in the same location. Mounting on the fabric is a problem because the plate can disappear if there's a post crash fire (not to say it hasn't been common practice.)
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Mounting on the fabric is a problem because the plate can disappear if there's a post crash fire (not to say it hasn't been common practice.)
    Why not make two identical plates and mount one permanently inside the tail of the fuselage in case of fire. One riveted to the fabric near the tail with a backing plate, which is always viewable, and one for the worst case event.
    I suppose it would still be up to the individual DAR as to conformity with the law but might show the builder's effort to comply with the spirit of the law.

FYI- I left my data plate off until the DAR came to inspect and asked him where he would put it. After some thought, my DAR had me put it inside the cockpit behind the pilot seat viewable through the little triangle window on an aluminum plate used to seal around the flaperon push pull tube. Per the law, it is viewable from the outside, and it is behind the furthest rear door. Since he chose the location of course he signed off on it. Go figure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I think I will talk to my DAR, if I don"t the way my luck has been going it will be wrong. I built my avid in nine months, been working on the K3 for 7 years, I must be getting slower as I age. Starting to get concerned I will kick the bucket before I get to fly. Only thing left is data plate an ELT and some bookwork. Gee, that should only take me 6 months. The shift work is murder on projects.

Bob,

Checking with the DAR would remove any doubt.

Per my earlier response ".............I made the data plate of stainless steel with an equivalent sized stainless steel backer for the other side of the fabric and attached a D shaped stainless steel loop riveted to the whole business around a tube behind the fabric........." was the conclusion I came to after asking my DAR.....basically the whole plane could burn and the stainless steel data plate would be hanging on the fuselage tube by the D shaped strap secured to the data plate with SS rivets.

It's important that you get these things done so you can fly

Sincerely,

Dave S

FWIW, data plate construction and location was about the only thing that was at issue with my inspection (FAA). We had discussed it before the inspection...it had to be stainless steel, "attached to structure" behind the doors. My first plate was SS, behind the door, attached to a steel backer plate, but attached to fabric. I sent a picture to the FAA inspector and he said he wanted to see it on "structure". I made a new one and attached it to the side trailing edge of the vert stab. (on an airfoiled tail) below the horiz stab....Inspector was happy and there was not one other issue during the inspection. (completed 5/28/2014)
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade