Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Gas Cap Fairings

Default Gas Cap Fairings

Has anyone installed the optional gas cap fairings for the SS7 wing tanks? I forgot to glue them on before final paint (aerothane) and am wondering if there is any problem gluing them on now with Hysol on top of the finish paint. I will scuff up the paint first with Scotchbrite.

Jim

Default Re: Gas Cap Fairings

Jim,
    I don't think there should be a problem. My favorite fabric repair - small rock holes etc. is Hysol, a piece of fabric and a couple of aluminum plates held together by a couple of magnets. I work it on the inside though. I like the stuff. Another thing, with the Aerothane, if cured thoroughly, you can use some acetone to clean up any over flow of the glue.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: Gas Cap Fairings

I find plain old alcohol cleans up glue overflow quite well also.

A tip from John McBean works very well to eliminate almost all glue overflow: Put down masking tape all around the edges of where the piece is going to sit. Then glue it down and let the excess glue overflow onto the masking tape. Then peel up the tape before the glue sets up and WaLa-clean edges.

Jim