Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window Film

Default Re: Window Film

Thats a good film. I carry it also, among others. It's a high performance film. I think there may be alot of factors in film working on acrylic or lexan. The main factor is heat. If your plane is hangared, except when you fly, that may prolong the bubbling. The other factor like I said in an earlier post is the age of the plastic. In my expirience the older lexan I tinted seemed to have less problems. and I'm sure that holds true with plex too. Not to say they wont eventually have problems, but maybe the two factors will buy quite a bit of time. I'd be willing to bet that if you tied your plane down outside over a blistering hot florida weekend, You would not be a very happy camper when you returned. I agree now with your suggestion about not being able to see very good in turns through the skylight if using the perfed vinyl. Have'nt flown my KF yet so I hadn't thought of that. Good point. Maybe I'll just call LP and get a one piece "tinted" Canopy

Chris

Chris,
    I think you are right on the money with this film. I have no doubt that I would have problems with the film if I left the plane out in the sun. In this heat I am afraid the whole airplane would desolve !
    When I was instructing for an airline in Miami (yeccchh!) I was amazed at all of the car windows that had that old purple film that was peeling from the windows.Looked horrible,so I know the sun will do it.
    But,"so far,so good"
    If I ever replace the glass there is absolutely no doubt I would pay the money and get a dark a tint as I could in the plastic. It is worth it ! No way would I want to go back to the clear ! (nor would I want to replace my " bush landing gear" with the standard !)
    Dick

Dick,
    Just wondering how your film was holding up as I am getting close to installing my windshield? (I figure if I am going to do this I would have the film put on before installing on the plane). Chris's experience and concerns have me a bit worried though the windshield is 8 years old and the benefits seem significant.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

just curious but wasn't there a spray on tint ? I wonder if that would also work on plastics if it's still available.

Chase

As mentioned in an earlier post,I screwed up the installation on my aircraft and had to have a pro remove the glue and redo it with better film. It took the whole afternoon and was expensive.
    My airplane is kept in an air conditioned hanger so the summer heat has not had much of an effect on the film and it has held up nicely. I would expect it to be the other way around if the airplane was outside.
    If I were to do a freash install of the windshield ,I would cetrtainly opt for a tinted one.
    You could put a sunshade up in the overhead .That works well although you have no vis in that area.
    Overall I am very glad I did it as it would be miserable with out it !
    Dick