Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteling Fish Eye

Default Re: Batteling Fish Eye

If I'm reading things right, you say that the fish eye happens in the same spot every time. That means there is contaminate on that surface. I to have had that problem, really pics a guy off when you do a beautiful job, come back an hour later and it still looks ok, but now you have a little pin hole, 2 hours later... BAM it looks like doggy doo. The best I can explain is to take some MEK and put it over the affected area, let it dry good and cross your fingers and paint again.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I would like to add one little tid bit that just might help. If it's fish eye that starts with a little pin hole while painting, you can take your finger nail and swirl it in the center, than on your next pass with paint it generally sticks and fills in. Worth a try.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

In my quest to get things working correctly I mentioned above that I was going to exchange the original air/oil filter from Harbor Freight. I did this today and the second one does the same thing the first one did...It does not hold pressure to a constant when holding down on the sprayer trigger. I officially deem this filter a P.O.S. Don't waste your time. Looks like I will be ordering that M-30 Randy.
    POSregulator.jpg
    Last edited by DanB; 01-01-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by allbee View Post
    I would like to add one little tid bit that just might help. If it's fish eye that starts with a little pin hole while painting, you can take your finger nail and swirl it in the center, than on your next pass with paint it generally sticks and fills in. Worth a try.

Steve,
    I believe you are mistaking fisheye (a contaminant on the surface) with what happens when you miss a spot in the fabric weave when using Poly Brush. You will continue to get a pinhole when spraying until you manually fill in that hole.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

[QUOTE=DanB;1547]In my quest to get things working correctly I mentioned above that I was going to exchange the original air/oil filter from Harbor Freight. I did this today and the second one does the same thing the first one did...It does not hold pressure to a constant when holding down on the sprayer trigger. I officially deem this filter a P.O.S. Don't waste your time. Looks like I will be ordering that M-30 Randy.

Dan.
    This could be getting off topic and going down another path...
    A filter that removes oil aerosol does cost.
    In the Auto Painting industry these water and oil filters can cost about $1,200 and could be around 2.5 thousand and up.

You say that this new filter and regulator does not hold pressure to a constant when pulling the trigger of the spray gun.

These canister filter / regulators are not supposed to maintain a constant pressure. It is the compressor and holding tank that does this. Most filter / regulators like the one shown should handle about 80 CFM at 120 psi (this does vary very much)

Lets say that your compressor delivers 10 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air but the spray gun you are using consumes 14 CFM; the system will run down and you will see the pressure guage slowly move to the negative of what you started spraying with and before you know it, the atomisation of the paint gets poor and you will experience orage peel to say the least!
    Last edited by Skybolt; 01-01-2009 at 07:58 PM.

[QUOTE=Eric Ashman;1552]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    In my quest to get things working correctly I mentioned above that I was going to exchange the original air/oil filter from Harbor Freight. I did this today and the second one does the same thing the first one did...It does not hold pressure to a constant when holding down on the sprayer trigger. I officially deem this filter a P.O.S. Don't waste your time. Looks like I will be ordering that M-30 Randy.

Dan.
    This could be getting off topic and going down another path...
    A filter that removes oil aerosol does cost.
    In the Auto Painting industry these water and oil filters can cost about $1,200 and could be around 2.5 thousand and up.

You say that this new filter and regulator does not hold pressure to a constant when pulling the trigger of the spray gun.

These canister filter / regulators are not supposed to maintain a constant pressure. It is the compressor and holding tank that does this. Most filter / regulators like the one shown should handle about 80 CFM at 120 psi (this does vary very much)

Lets say that your compressor delivers 10 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air but the spray gun you are using consumes 14 CFM; the system will run down and you will see the pressure guage slowly move to the negative of what you started spraying with and before you know it, the atomisation of the paint gets poor and you will experience orage peel to say the least!
    Eric,
    I understand what you are saying about the pressure is and should be held by the compressor. When I paint without putting the filter in line, I can maintain a constant pressure at the gun no problem. I can and have held the trigger for long stretches w/out my gun pressure dropping. When I put this goofy filter in line, strangely enough I will loose pressure at the gun all the way to zero. This I don't believe is normal operation.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Dan.
    You said>>>
    "I believe you are mistaking fisheye (a contaminant on the surface) with what happens when you miss a spot in the fabric weave when using Poly Brush. You will continue to get a pinhole when spraying until you manually fill in that hole."

After you brush the Polybrush and let it dry. You then reduce the Polybrush and spray a couple of coats. If done right, this should have handled the migration of flex adhesive resins to the backside and through the weave of the fabric..

"When I put this goofy filter in line, strangely enough I will loose pressure at the gun all the way to zero. This I don't believe is normal operation."

This filter looks like a cheap replica of a USA, Binks model that was made for years. Probably made in China!
    So it has the diaphragm (rubber disc)type regulator and the T screw adjuster at the top of the regulator. Turn the T to the right and you should watch the PSI go up on the gauge.
    If you can adjust and set the working pressure for the spray gun to ,say 30 psi, and then when you pull the trigger the pressure is lost at the gun and the guage shows 0 psi then there is something not correct with the regulator.

With the T handle screwed to the left. Have you connected the main in line and no air line from the unit. Then slowly turned in the T, to see if there is any air coming out of the exit coupler?

Eric.

Painting issues. I used to restore old cars and custom painting same. I had the problem with oil in the line. On day while working my day job, I was tending a diver on a pile driving water rig when I asked the hard hat diver how he could breath that air with oil in it. He said he uses 'Synthetic oil' in his compressor. It doesn't vaporize. I changed it as soon as I got home.
    Also, I don't paint in the rain or at night. If you do, you deal with high humidity (Blushing) and Bugs at night. This stuff should go into the tips and tricks section that John Pitkin started. -Tom, N.J.

Here is what I buy for our industrial set up. We run up to 2000 CFM from 3 compressors.

http://www.super-dry.com/images/Catalog.pdf

Also - fish eye is usually caused from the surface being painted. Some contamination is the culprit most of the time.
    Last edited by Dave F; 03-20-2013 at 01:26 AM.