Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynon D-180

Default Re: Dynon D-180

I think the extra bright screen is a great idea in any plane. I have the extra and love it.

Probably not mandatory but you do get some washout in the bright sun when you only have the standard screen.

Mine is significantly brighter and visible in the direct sunlight. Several of the Series 7s we built used the D10. It didn't have a bright screen option when it first came out and when they ride with me they all remark how easy it is to see the screen of my D180 in the sunlight.

Two of the pilots have sent their D10 in and have purchased the upgraded bright screen.

I think you would be much happier in the long run if you went with the bright screen option.

I installed the D180 in my SuperSport and enjoy the EFIS and EMS in one unit.

The D180 will accept the serial data from the Aera 500 ( I have a Aera 510 interfaced to the D180) and display course deviation, desired track, actual track and the wind vector on the EFIS as well as the HSI page. I don't think you would use the HSI page if you want the EMS-EFIS display. The EFIS heading tape does a good job for navigation.

The KT76A needs a Dynon serial to gray code converter. I mounted it to the side of the KY 76A rack.

I don't think the KLX135A has the NMEA 0183 serial output for the D180. It is not listed in the product specs. The D180 cannot accept the CDI outputs for analog devices

Don

I have it in my SS and had it in another plane. Absolutely love it, it's the best bang for the buck.

I was going to use the MGL Oddyssey,. but that thing is huge with a 12 + " by 8.5" foot print on the panel,..seriously looking at the dynon again,..I think the only problem I'll have is my choice of engine, if that's going to be a problem at all ,..modifying the engine monitor connectors on the engine to accomidate the dynon probes,.. where MGL says that I shouldn't have a problem at all connecting their product ,..I still have plenty of time to make that decision ,..it's just lurking in the back ground as a possible delimma to the decision.

Chase

Should not be a problem connecting the Dynon to any conversion (or other) engine.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

New to this thread. Hope not too late. I am helping a friend finish a Series 5 with D-180 and D-100. No other panel instruments. My question has to do with start up. With my round gauges, I always liked to monitor oil pressure as it would rise to operation pressure before the engine came to life. Do you with the D-180 turn it on during cranking to monitor engine perameters, or do you fire up the D-180 after the engine is running.

Thanks,

Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 05-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Lowell, I don't have a glass panel yet but I would not start my engine with the panels hot.
    A safe way to counter the large spikes and drops during starting is with TCW's Intelligent Power Stabilizer. Economical insurance for your panels and would safely allow you to monitor oil pressure during start ups.
    TCW Intelligent Power Stabilizer.
    " The IPS system allows electronic equipment such as engine monitors, EFIS and GPS’s to be operational before and during engine starting." I'll be converting to a glass panel this summer and TCW's IPS will be part of the upgrade.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have a D120 in one plane and the D180 in the other.
    Both are wired hot to the Master so you can check oil
    pressure. No problem in about 400 hours in 78KA.

I have my Dynon EMS hot while starting, no problems so far.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive