Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placement of Placards

Default Placement of Placards

Down to the final details which include placement of the "EXPERIMENTAL" labels and the Data plate. Given these are fabric planes what constitutes a good permanent exterior location for the Data plate? or have some put it on the inside? and are there good options other than below the doors for the Experimental sticker?
    Just looking for ideas, all input appreciated.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Placement of Placards

Dorsal, my D.A.R. at inspection allowed mine (data plate)to go on the aluminum triangular plate I installed just behind the pilots left shoulder that covers up the hole where my left flapperon push pull tube comes up and connects to the flapperon horn. He said it was readable from the outside through my little triangle rear window. His suggestion actually as I left mine off for his input. Seems you can find them in many different locations on a Kitfox. I've seen some on the inside of the firewall behind the rudder pedals. Not very readable from the outside.

The same D.A.R. made me highlight my painted on "experimental" signs below my doors on my lower fuselage so he could read it from I believe he said either 100' or 200' away. Can't really remember now. Never heard of that requirement before but he had the authority to sign off my Kitfox so I complied. Go figure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

i made up a backing plate for the data plate and put it on the inside of the fabric and pop riveted them together below the left horizontal stab and the experimental went on the doors .
    getting close , bet your getting anxious
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

In my KF it is on the left side of the fuselage, beneath the horizontal stabilizer.
    I don't think it can be inside the airplane:

--------------------
    CFR 45.11: Subpart B—Identification of Aircraft and Related Products
    § 45.11 General.
    (a) Aircraft and aircraft engines. Aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must be identified, ... by means of a fireproof plate that has the information specified in §45.13 of this part marked on it by etching, stamping, engraving, or other approved method of fireproof marking. The identification plate for aircraft must be secured in such a manner that it will not likely be defaced or removed during normal service, or lost or destroyed in an accident. Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the aircraft identification plate must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces ..."
    --------------------

Roberto Waltman

Thanks for the replies, I realize it should be on the outside of the plane (though I have seen some experimentals with it on the inside) but was not sure how to attach to fabric. Didn't think of backing it with another piece of AL, good idea.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

the other kitfox that im in the hangar with has been flying since 2002 with the data plate installed with the metal backup with no problems . i installed my data plate there and in that manor since i was having the same dar look at mine that looked at that one . its a little tight getting an arm in there but can be done . i had an inspection ring installed onthe other side but didnt want to cut it open so i did the reach around . i ended up cutting it open anyway later to change the tailwheel spring bolt.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Bought 2 one to back it up on the inside of fabric, Put the expermental inside behind our head,thats is where John told me to put it and our dar had no problem with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dj Series 6

wish id known about installing the experimental placard in the behind the head location . now that the weather gets nicer and ill be able to fly without the doors . what will i do ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for posting pics, very helpful. I like the much smaller data plate, the one that came with my kit is a bit large.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Ran across this tid-bit in an article called "Tales from the DAR side"

"There are only three items of information required: 1) builder name, 2) aircraft model designation, and 3) aircraft serial number. That’s it! No other information is required or desired. Even if the data plate you purchase has room for more, I suggest you only mark these three items. This way, the data plate will always be correct and will not include any information that’s out of date or no longer applicable."

Going to get a smaller data plate
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive