Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help, I think I soiled my carburetor.

Default Re: Help, I think I soiled my carburetor.

I'm scared of brown goo or any goo in my gas so I recently removed my 1992 vintage tanks. I have been very fortunate to have non ethanol gas at my closest filling station but this is to end in Oct. I have never had ethanol in my tanks. Looking in my tanks revealed the kreem slosh starting to fall apart that prompted me to look inside closer with a scope. What I found was resin from the original lay up all over the inside of the tanks with large pieces broken off and floating around. This is only what I could see as there are two baffles. After much consideration I decided to go with the airdale tanks. These tanks are by no means perfect and have cons also, but I believe the are the lesser of the two evils.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

there is no need to remove the wings, in fact leaving the wings on gives you a good working platform. I was able to do what was needed to remove the tanks and had a firm foundation on the wings to do so. If I had to do it again I would do the same. I ended up closing the wing part way to get to the hoses. In the end I ended up brushing on all the paint for I have a t hanger so many other airplanes where in a row. I didn't want paint getting into the other hangars. I need to put a couple more coats of paint on with one of those sponge brushes, after that I don't think you would be able to see where I did anything, came out real nice. I used polytone.

pretty considerate steve , i had a guy paint red paint on a navion with rattle cans next to my 170b and i ended up with red overspray all over my airplane . before i ever saw him again and could get sideways with him he had been hit in the head with the navion prop and killed himself . i ended up having to rub out most of the airplane to get it off .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

i didnt have to worry about the guy , he took care of himself . all i had to do was clean off the overspray from my plane . im glad i wasnt at the airport the day he got smacked in the head .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Steve,
    Could you please explain your method of removing the old tanks and replacing them ? I haven't yet explored how to do this and as I did not build the plane,I am somewhat unfamilliar with the layout of the wing.
    Thanks !
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl

catz , i didnt replace the tank like steve , i took the wing off, but there are some pictures in one of my albums of the inside of the wing . mine was a lot more work as i replaced a 6 gal tank with a 13 gal tank . it required removing a rib and relocating a brace . the one on the other side will go a lot faster when i replace it , i learned a lot doing this one .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks Chuck,I will check it out
    Dick