Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: K3 First Run

Default K3 First Run

First run for the K3 today, Yaaaaa. Now for some questions for the 2-cycle gurus. Its a 582 with a B gear box. Runs pretty smooth @ 3000rpm and above. AT 2000 vibrates quite a bit, still working on the smooth idle, it has that 2-cycle idle shake at 2000. Can that be tuned out at 2000 since its still loaded somewhat? Next question, my B box seems to have a little play in the gears when you wiggle the prop (not running of course) is that normal, or is there something to keep it pre-loaded tight. Well guess thats it for now. Got to put the bird back in the garage for now. Kinda difficult to break in an airplane in the Burbs. Neighbors haven't complained yet but have been getting some werid looks. This has been a Area 51 project so no one is aware.
    As always, thankyou for your support.

Default Re: K3 First Run

Hey Bob,
    Congrats on the first run. It shouldn't be too long now until you're flying.

Your vibration issue probably comes down to the prop. Are you using the 1990 GSC prop you posted about earlier? Three blade? What size? What's the ratio on your B box?

I'd suggest carefully weighing each blade to see how closely they match. Sometimes wood props pick up moisture. Check the blade pitch and tip tracking. If any of these are out it could explain the vibration issues.

I'm not sure about the play on a B box.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

My 582 with the "c" box had about 1/8 - 3/16 of slop at the prop tip. 600+ hours and it never got worse so yours is probably quite normal.
    JimS

Congrats. Always a big day when a Kitfox comes to life for the first time. Best of luck.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I doubt that many 582s with a larger prop will idle real smooth at 2000 RPM. You've probably got nothing wrong with the tuning. Most of these engines probably idle smooth at about 2600 and up and not below that. I've had 3 582s and 2 532s and none of them would idle smooth at 2000 RPM. Take care, Jim Chuk

Sounds like it may be Ok on the idle and slop on the prop. Guess I better get to work on finishing up those logs for an inspection. Hoping a thousand pics is worth 10 thousand words. And I promise some pics soon.