Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: engine mounts

Default engine mounts

I was looking at prices for engine mounts on Aircraft Spruces' site and thought that maybe I should ask here if anyone has made their own. It must be possible, Orville and Wilbur did it didn't they? And like my cousin says "why buy one off the shelf when you can build it yourself for twice the price?" So, should I attempt it or is this a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, why? I am using a 140 horse turbo Subaru EA-81 engine if that makes a difference.
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: engine mounts

Here's a link at EAA for building one:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=16346696001
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Steve. There is much pride in being able to build something on your own.
    I did build my own mount from scratch. I am installing a Jabiru 2200 onto my Modle IV. I got the drawings from Jabiru. Here's the difference. I learned to weld as an apprentice in a Nuclear Power plant many years ago. I am quite comfortable with the welding process. I TIG welded the mount. The Tech adviser in our local EAA chapter welded his up with Oxy/Acy.Welding. Nothing wrong with that method. Need more info? -Lion8

Thanks guys but that part of the mount I have already built, it's the rubber between the washers stuff that I'm talking about. I guess they're called lord mounts. Like motor mounts on a car they absorb vibration. I'm pretty sure I can get the material from McFadden-Dale here in Vegas, they even carryA-N hardware. I'm comfortable enough with doing my own welding. I learned the basics in high school (42 years ago) and have since bought two mig welders to complement my oxyacetylene and arc welders. I tried tig at work once and they asked me not to do that again. I told them that I am a pilot and I am building an airplane and I play a gynecologist at parties and they still told me not to use their tig welder anymore! I just don't get it.

I made my own shock mounts from tie rod /sway bar bushings. I used the high performance polyurethane bushing kits available at most auto parts stores. Each mount consists of a sandwich of the following parts:

Cup Washer
    Poly bushing
    Vinyl sleeve
    Poly bushing
    Cup Washer

The mounting bolt passes through one of the supplied washers then a bushing. In the center of the assembly the bolt passes through a piece of vinyl tubing to keep the metal isolated from the motor mount. On the opposite side is another bushing and a washer. The assembly is torqued just about 10 lb.ft and a castellated nut is cotter pinned on the bolt.

My motor mount uses 3/8 inch bolts. If your mount uses smaller bolts you can use additional vinyl sleeves to shim the bushings. If your mount uses larger bolts you can drill out the poly bushings.

Another source for the rubber parts is shock absorber bushings. They are a little softer, but I don't think they are as durable.

JP

Thanks John! That's what I was looking for. 40 years later and your'e still my favorite instructor!

Hello you guys.
    I live in England and have a KF with a base mounted 582 which has never given any trouble, so don`t see any need to uprate to the later side mounting. However, when doing the DI the other day, I noticed that one of the rubber engine mounts had given way and needs replacing. I have no idea who makes them and the build manual is not a lot of help. Do you happen to know what they are and where I can get them?
    Very grateful for any help you can give.

I'm looking for the polyurethane bushings to replace the ones on my 912. Can someone tell me where I can find these. Mine are getting worn and I'd like to change them out. I'd be OK with finding similar material and modifying.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster