Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Default Corvair in a Kitfox

If you followed a previous thread over in general discussion you know that about a year ago I purchased a basket case Kitfox Safari N852PG. Turns out the motor an O200 which was "guaranteed to run fine" ran fine with 10lbs oil pressure.

So during the deliberations as to how I go about fixing the issue my mechanic, Joe Sheldon at LSA aviation, suggested a Corvair. (I'm sorry I don't have a lot of time to work on it myself as I'm constantly on the road.) After some research I agreed it would be something I would like to see happen. So here is where it starts.

Joe has some experience with Corvair and a lot of experience with Kitfox. He found a suitable core locally in Oregon and so began the journey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

So this is the core engine from a Corvair car. Originally the engine ran a 5500 redline rpm and 550 cht. The motor when completed will turn direct drive at 3200 rpm and 350 cht. Displacing 3200 cc it is rated 120hp at 2800 rpm. I will probably see close to that with the increase in rpm and my altitude at just under 4000'.

So the first step is to drag the motor home and start getting dirty. Most of the external parts are discarded such as the top cover blower fan, oil pan, front and back plates, and some of the baffling sheet metal. The rest is used as a basic core for rebuilding.

William Wynne is the writer and publisher of the Corvair Manuals I follow from this point until the engine is running. He has put many years into this and I feel as long as the book is followed I can avoid any obvious mistakes. I listen to him and Sport Performance Aviation, and they listen to guys who are way smarter than me. Dan Weseman of SPA has also been a tremendous help and both of them are going to be behind a new engine mount and exhaust for this installation. I don't want to get ahead of myself here because I don't want to make any premature claims. i will be posting what I'm doing and the steps I make for a firewall forward install using a lycoming continental cowl. After the install I will be posting numbers for performance data using as many different props as Dan and William think I should test.

Once the core is obtained and disassembled, the various components are sent to SPA. (Some parts such as the crank are sent to certain trusted shops who do the kind of quality work these guys trust). What you get back is a combination of original parts you sent in now refurbished and set to standards, and new components ready for installation.

When completed it should look like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtcicon; 11-13-2016 at 02:17 AM.

So here is the stage I'm at as of the beginning of this thread. The aircraft is finished and ready for install. I just picked up the last of my engine components in Florida and am on my way home. Joe will begin assembly which I won't get into on this thread. I will cover the install as this will be the first commercially available install kit offered for this motor. I hope that this will help others who will be interested in getting this for yourself.

IF IF IF this works as well as I think it will these will be the advantages IMHO.
    Cost: don't kid yourself, it's not just putting a car motor in a plane and cranking it over. 13 to 14,000 is what it takes for the components. But compare that to the cost of any other power plant out there. 25 or 30,000 or more for another choice? Once complete, basic parts are extremely cheap. And assembly can be done by you through the education program done by William and the folks at SPA. The rebuild I've heard is also extremely cheap and TBO I think is 1500.
    Power to weight: an O200 is comparable or slightly heavier. But the Corvair puts out 120hp so performance should be good.
    Reliability: if the books are followed this engine is as reliable as any. Corvairs have been flying since the sixties and have a great track record. The components are tested and flight proven.
    Smooth operation: the Corvair is a six cylinder horizontally opposed engine. This in combination with a 2 blade prop makes this a smooth choice.
    Availability: General Motors made a lot of these engines. Most can be found in people's back yards. Mine was found for $350. Only certain types of this motor work so if anyone gets the idea to try this, Go get the book through FlyCorvair.com. All the other new components are well proven tried and tested from various manufacturers and are available through SPA. Use them because they make sure you get the right parts and not some chinese knockoff.

So these are my opening thoughts on this and I hope things turn out well. I should be delivering the parts in bout 10 days and Joe should begin on assembly sometime thereafter. Once the mount comes in and is being installed I will begin this thread there.

I think JPitkin is putting a Corvair in his Kitfox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for posting all the detail on your Corvair power project. What prop and diameter are you planning on to go with the Corvair?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Good luck with your install and keep us all posted on your progress. It is great to see something different!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I think JPitkin is putting a Corvair in his Kitfox.
    I just visited him today and had a chance to see his project. I cannot say enough about John and how nice he is. The motor looks great and I hope to someday meet him in the air.
    Looking at his project gives me a look into the future much as I want to do for others. I saw what I would be doing 2 months from now and have a much better idea of how to go about it. I want to use plenums instead of baffling. I will most likely have to shorten the cowl. And I like how he did that. C of G might be better than I thought.
    I plan to follow things that I see and like. So some of Johns' work will wind up here most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for posting all the detail on your Corvair power project. What prop and diameter are you planning on to go with the Corvair?
    Thx av8r. I'm going to defer to the guys backing me up on this. We will be trying at least one warp drive two blade. John has a 68 so probably a 66 or 64. I don't want to double up until we know what the best combo is. We also intend to try a list of sensenich props based on what Dan thinks would work well on this plane. I don't know enough to make a good selection but SPA does. I will be posting numbers on all the combos as they come up.

The stats on this particular project are going to be some real solid numbers. Since no two aircraft are alike it is difficult to compare a rotax powered plane on my left with a nice interior and the latest in gadgetry with 29" tires, against an O235 powered aircraft on my right with wheel pants and bare bones all around. In this case we have an O200 aircraft with a weight and balance sheet, battery in the back, same interior, same panel, same tires. We take the O200 off and put the Corvair on and size up the numbers again. So since the O200 is tested and we have a performance sheet on it already. The pros and cons of this motor will stand on very solid ground since we will be posting the contrast against the same airframe.

Hello Matt
    I have been following you post about the Corvair engine with much interest. Just a question, do you plan on installing a fuel hand primer pump to help in the starting of the engine? and if you do will it inject the fuel into one or both intake tubes?
    Regards Joe

Hi joe. I'm just the dummy that decided to do this. I am using the O200 carb which has a primer on it. I will ask Joe at LSA and see if I can get a more precise answer.