Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: September 2009 KOTM Chris Engler (CDE2FLY)

Default September 2009 KOTM Chris Engler (CDE2FLY)

Chris Engler KOTM KF1.jpg

Name & TeamKitfox.com username
    : Chris Engler - CDE2FLY
    City/state: Greene, NY
    Kitfox model/series: Kitfox Sport
    Engine & prop: Rotax 912S and IVO prop.
    Date started, date completed: February, 2003 – July, 2009
    Story of your Kitfox:

The airplane started out as a quickbuild Kitfox Sport which was briefly produced after the Kitfox Model 7 and before the Super Sport. Total build time was around 2500 hours (lots of time painting and wiring!). The Kitfox was a "first build" for me though there is lots of model airplane building in my past. I found the build process to be very straight forward with lots of help and advice available when needed. The airplane is powered by a Rotax 912S with an IVO in-flight adjustible propeller and is based in Greene, NY on a 2600 ft. grass strip. Instruments and lights are suitable for VFR flight (day and night) and include a Dynon D100 EFIS, Grand Rapids EIS, transponder, iCom radio, EXP2 Load Center to manage the electrical systems, and Flight Cheetah FL 210 which is a moving map GPS with integrated weather and synthetic vision. Covering is the polyfiber system with aerothane paint throughout. Other features include a one piece lexan turtle deck, stainless steel brake lines, remote oil pressure sending unit, wing strut attach point and gas cap fairings, intercoastals on the verticle and horzontal tail surfaces, electronically adjustible rudder trim, and built in elevator hinge gap seals.

I currently have 11 hours on the airplane so I'm still gathering performance data. Empty weight is 838 pounds. Preliminary performance numbers are TAS of 120 mph at 5400 rpm, 1000 fpm climb (solo, full fuel), stall - flaps up at 47 mph and flaps down at 42 mph. Highest altitude so far as been 13,500 and was still showing a 200 fpm rate of climb.

Really love the Dynon unit, IVO prop, and the in-flight adjustible rudder trim which allows the airplane to track down a heading hands off for many miles at a time. The elevator trim is a bit sensitive which may be in part due to the elevator hinge gap seals. On the plus side, I can fly the pattern without holding back pressure on the stick and flare to 3 points easily without full up trim.

All in all delighted with the airplane...stable enough to travel with, nimble enough to be fun, and safe enough to thoroughly enjoy!

Chris Engler panel KF5.jpg
    Chris Engler KOTM KF7.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: September 2009 KOTM Chris Engler (CDE2FLY)

Beautiful Model 7 Sport Chris. It's an honor to have your Sport as September's KOTM. Great looking Kitfox with first class craftsmanship. It must be a joy flying it from the grass strip. Enjoy every flight Chris and thanks again for submitting your Sport.
    P.S. Nice panel!

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That is a pretty bird, and a heck of a panel. You did a fantastic job, good work!

Chris,
    Congratulations, nice work! Now go get some hours on her and enjoy your labor!
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Chris congrats, what a great looking airplane. You sure have done a nice job. I am sure you will be rewarded with many years of great flying.

real nice plane. But... the leading edges on the prop won't last long. I give them, oh lets say 30 hrs and they will look bad. The answer will be the tape from powerfin prop. I put those on my medium prop as soon as I could, been great, and they are black.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop