Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adding fuel tank?

Default Adding fuel tank?

Like the title, I am currently using a 13 gal single tank, thinking if I am gonna open the wing up to replace it with a alcohol resistant new tank, I should add another tank to the other side. What says the collective wisdom? Will the structure be materially different? Is it an unzip and glue in proposition?
    Its really the only thing that I would like to add/modify. Ran this by the Kitfox factory guys, but didn't get a definitive answer.
    What says ye?
    eric

Default Re: Adding fuel tank?

I replaced both fuel tanks in my model IV a few years ago. Its NOT a cake walk but now is the time to do it.
    Im flying a Rotax 912 80HP. You know about return lines to the tanks. That is different than the vent line. My mechanic at the time put in the restrictor for me and he did all the fabric work. The original tanks were hysol glued in place, man ... what a bear. In the end, it all worked out. Why do you have just one tank?

Default Re: Adding fuel tank?

i replaced both of my 6 gal tanks with the new 13 gal tanks several years ago.i replaced one one winter and the other one the next winter. I'm pretty sure there are pictures in my album. a rib has to be removed and the drag braces have to be relocated to the bay outboard of the tank . the fittings for the brace tubes that attaches to the spars will require modification to the angles. certainly a well worthwhile project.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa