Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plane Shows Up Tomorrow!

Default Re: Plane Shows Up Tomorrow!

DanB. The sawhorses are a good idea. I'm not sure where I am going to start. Any judgestions? Space is one thing I have lots of. My shop is 110 x 90 feet. The room with the wings is just the one area I will heat[/QUOTE]

Jiott had the answer I have heard several times concerning where to start. One thought is if the wings are finished first, then needing to move them around for what ever reason might put them at risk. Others may see things in a different light.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I started with the fuselage and then went back and forth with the horizontal stab and elevator and fuselage. I am saving the wings for the very reason mentioned. Handle them once if at all possible. I am working on the door frame currently.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

One other comment: the stab, elevator and rudder are certainly fairly easy to assemble (ribs, hinges, etc.) but I would advise not covering them with fabric until after the fuse and wings. The reason is they have some curved edges which are not real easy to get right until you have some covering experience. The wings and fuse are large but are all straight edges (except the vert stab) and fairly easy to do. I thought the wings were actually the easiest to cover, which agrees with the Polyfiber Manual.

Jim

Congrats on the plane!!! I built those wings and it is cool to see them in your shop after just seeing them leave the wing shop at Kitfox the other day. Thanks for posting the pictures!
    Brandon

Hey Brandon very cool. Thanks for building my wings!

As for everyone else thanks for the suggestions. I originally was thinking to do all the hysol of the vert and horz stab first but I may take the advice of starting with the fuselage.

As for the covering, in Canada the MD-RA (ie big money grab) requires a pre cover inspection so I pretty much have to go as far as I can on everything before I cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    ... was thinking to do all the hysol of the vert and horz stab first but I may take the advice of starting with the fuselage.
    A long time ago I read the recommendation to start with the wings, specially if you don't have a large work area. (Tony Bingelis EAA books?)

The rationale given was that later it was easier to get the wings out of the way while working on the fuselage. Hang them flat from the roof, or vertically against a wall, etc.

Roberto.

Great ,happy for you...do you think md-ra certified your project with quick built wing??. He said the builder need to make 51% of the aircraft,,

Jf

Yeah the MD-RA will certify with the quick build wing at 51%.

Good,,,thank's josh