Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: More or less a first flight

Smile More or less a first flight

While working on getting my own Kitfox in the air, today I flew for the first time in a Kitfox-like aircraft. Found an instructor giving lessons on an Eurofox SLSA, and spent a wonderful hour and a half between Randall, Wurstboro and Resnick airports in New York.

First of all, now I understand what is meant when people say that “things happen fast” in a Kitfox. My previous flights were in a Piper Cub and an Aeronca Champ, which I sought as the closest thing to a Kitfox from the point of view of size, weight and engine power.

The numbers may be close, but they surely don't fly in a similar way. The KF/EF is much more “squirelly” and responds much quicker to the controls, It was a bumpy day, strong thermals, orographic lift, sink out of the blue, turbulence just because. So I had plenty of opportunities to see the controls response, both when I did it right and when I made mistakes.

I'll take a few more lessons with this plane. Unfortunately it is not a taildragger, but I believe flying it will prepare me for my Kitfox better than anything else I did so far.

I am allowing myself only a 50% grin, since it is not my own plane.

Roberto.
    Last edited by rwaltman; 06-23-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fixing bad grammar

Default Re: More or less a first flight

Good find. That training will help you.

If you can keep it tight in the nose dragger transition won't be a problem.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

How did you like the brake pull lever on the panel?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dholly View Post
    Did *NOT* like it at all - I want the directional control that separate left and right brakes give you. But again, this was a tricycle gear, and steering with the nose wheel was good enough.
    Also there is no risk of (partially) applying the brakes accidentally, as I tend to do with the heel brakes in a Piper Cub.
    Does the taildragger version of the Eurofox have the same arrangement?
    Last edited by rwaltman; 06-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dholly View Post
    Dholly,
    Interesting question you bring up. Prior to flying my IV (nose dragger) I needed to bring my flying skills up to speed after a 6 year hiatus (while building). I found an instructor with a "Euro Fox" (now re- named the AeroTrek) which was the closest thing to my bird close by...and yes, if you can tame the "squirleyness" out of flying the AeroTrek, you will be good to go with your Kitfox. I also found it to be very sensitive on the control inputs.

The breaks were the first thing I raised my eyebrows at as I started my training...but like most things in a plane, ya get use to it. With the steerable nosewheel, it is a non-issue. As an ole C-172 driver, it was comfortable.
    One thing I found to be the biggest learning curve (and still learning) when transitioning to my Kitfox was the braking system. I think I taxied around the airport 6 or so hours until turning and such became instinctive...then I flew it. Doing this taxi-training is an important part of transitioning from being a steerable nose-wheel guy to a castoring nosewheel pilot. Those of you who trained in a conventional ship should have no problems. I'm still trying to get the hang of coordinated braking while landing in a cross-wind. But THIS is the time I have been waiting for all those hours of building. Just having a blast flying this thing I built in my garage.
    Last edited by DanB; 06-24-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Roberto- the Aerotrek A220 taildragger does have differential braking. I am currently repairing an Aerotrek tri-gear that was damaged when a ramp boy ran it thru an open hanger, supposedly didn't know where the brakes were!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)