Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: securing wings for travel

Default Re: securing wings for travel

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I've been fine with 2/3 tanks. But my wings are level down the road. I let the elevator push UP against the flaperons.
    Thanx for the info

Can someone post pictures of the hardware used for transport. I am thinking about building the braces. Any advise? And if that advise is “just buy them”, then I am good with that too.

Steve

I don’t have close up pictures but you can look one page back on the efwd build page to see my plane on the trailer.

I took 1/2” steel tube, crushed the one end and bent it. Then I drilled a hole it it and wrapped foam rubber around it. That’s the end I bolted to the wing.

On the bottom I put a straight edge from the fuselage, drew a line on the tube and cut on the line. Then I welded a piece of flat bar with a hole in it. I bolted that to the strut attach point. I think the real ones have a pin that goes through the channel at the attach point but the way I did it worked fine too and was easier to make. Cut the pipe 1/4” longer than you think. Mine ended up being short and the wing is better to flex up slightly since it’s sinking a bit from the weight than to torque it down more. Even if it is short like mine was, you can put a bunch of washers between to wing and the brace.

Hope that all makes sense.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I posted pics of the brand new travel braces I got from Kitfox someplace here in reply to someone else asking the same question. Maybe they can guide you to their thread.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I've got some pics under "loading and unloading trailer ....." sticky towards the top.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind