Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 Engine Hard To Start

Default 582 Engine Hard To Start

I have the Rotax 582 that is very hard to start when cold. I try priming I try not priming. It just won't fire. After I finally get started and it warms up then it starts easy. I'm using premixed fuel. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 582 Engine Hard To Start

Is the starter cranking quickly? If not check battery condition, supply cable and ground to the starter. Try new plugs gapped to 0.018 (off the top of my head). Check the ignition wires from ignition modules to plug cap. Try to reseat them if they've pulled out at all. Also consider changed them out if they've seen some wear. Might check the condition of the rubber carb sockets for any cracks. This can only be done by removing and flexing them.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I had a similar problem with a 503 except it started ok cold but was hard to start hot. After chasing rabbits without results a called Dwight Edmondson , who was a very sharp Rotax mechanic in Goldsboro, NC. One of the things he suggested was to check the stater. He said to check (as best as I remember, 15 or more years ago) by reading resistance with an ohm-meter across the plugs from the stater to the ignition modules. If the stater is good it should read around 300 ohms. Mine was way off. I replaced it and never had another starting problem. Also, if you have the pump type primer, the ones I've seen are pretty poor quality and need replacement pretty often. Some of my flying buddies had them and they didn't last very long. One more thought, floats. I had to replace mine because they didn't, float that is. Anyway, just some experiences I had. Let us know when you figure it out. Good luck. James Thomas

Adjust the gap in the spark plug to the specifications. That made a difference for me.
    When priming, you should have the throttle open.
    Full Lotus floats, KievProp

Many guys have reported a similar problem. Solutions and cause vary but here are some things reported to be the fix. Some things to try :

Decrease plug gap to .016
    As mention check ignition resistance
    Install new hot battery
    Clean check all ignition-battery connections (Battery, Solenoid, grounds, starter)
    Check sparkplug cap wire connections
    Check Stator wiring and/or Replace Stator
    Check and/or replace starter
    Replace primer
    Replace fuel pump
    Clean/Check/Rebuild carburetors
    Replace paper element fuel filters (if installed)
    Discontinue use of Ethanol Blend fuel if used
    Replace engine
    Remove Dirt dobber nest from end of exhaust pipe

Looks like it was just the battery. It measured good voltage, but just didn't
    have what it take to crank it fast enough. I replaced the battery and now it starts good. This is the second time I have had to replace battery in two years. about a year is all I was getting out of a battery. Checked the charging system and found it was over charging the battery. Installed a new voltage regulator (Key West). Hope that takes care of it.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've had my share battery problems also. One thing my battery guy suggested was buying a Schumacher MC-1 charger to maintain the battery occasionally. He said these little units work well for small motorcycle type batteries. He uses these in his battery shop on all his small batteries. They come with a pig-tail quick connect adapter you can install on the battery and leave in place. Pretty cheap to buy off Ebay, Amazon, ect.

You need to be careful to match a battery charger to the battery technology you're using. The Schumacher might be good for an old style motorcycle lead acid battery but would kill an Odyssey AGM style or a lithium cell. Do your research.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Personally I don't think the Schumacher MC-1 should even be on the market! It is a manual charger (no auto shut off) and does not even have a full charge indicator light. Forget it's hooked up, get distracted and off to something else and you could lose more than the battery!

I don't even leave my automatic charger/tenders on, unattended - unplugged overnight or when I'm leaving the shop.

Greg

Whoops my bad ! My battery guy suggested the Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA NOT the MC-1. Sorry for the confusion.