Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flox ??

Default Flox ??

I'm getting ready to tackle my first bout of Hysol. My understanding is, you mix it, 1 part to 1 part by weight. That I think I can handle. My instructions indicate to bond with Flox. What the heck is Flox?
    How long does mixed hysol reamin workable?
    How much should I mix to do the verticle stabilizer ribs into place?

Any suggestions, comments, advice, applications tricks etc in using this bonding material would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Brian

Default Re: Flox ??

I can't tell you the ratios. But, I can tell you what flox is. It is the cut fibers of fiberglass cloth. It is used in composite construction to provide fillets and fill voids with some structural strength.

There is some reference to this in these forums in the last 12 months. I just can't remember the thread, but a search should reveal some results.

Ralph

Flox is ground up cotton. It is added to the hysol mix to thicken the mixture so as not to run or slump away from your bonding parts. The warmer the temps are when working the more flox will be needed. You should have gotten some with the kit or you can order some from Aircraft Spruce.
    Hysol when properly mixed ahould easily give you a workimg time of 30 minutes maybe more. Folks usually mix up too much at first and end up wasting mixture.
    Common but you will adjust and just mix smaller batches and mix a little more often so as not to waste as much.
    Not at all hard to work with.
    Others will have good
    useful tips for you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Your flox would be in a small white plastic jar exactly like the glass micro beads if Kitfox is sending it in the same type containers. If you can't find yours let me know. Before I knew I wasn't going to need much, I bought some more just because I was standing in the Aircraft Spruce store and it was right there. It takes very little to do the job.
    Eddie

Brian, I don't know how old your kit is, but my flox came from Kitfox in a ziplock bag inside a small brown paper sack which had the usual white label on the outside. (Just so you don't narrow your search too much.)
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thanks again, for the info, so, if I understand right, you mix the hysol and then thicken it with the flox? I take it, that how thick to mix it, is up to the individual?
    I bought this project partially completed, and I believe everything at that time was bonded, I didn't get any hysol, which I have since purchased, and I don't see any flox.
    I have to replace one front spar and I had to replace the vertical Stab ribs, so having to bond the front spar to the ribs in one wing and the Vert Stab ribs, any idea how much Flox I should order? Spruce sells 1lb bags and 5 lb bags.
    Thanks
    Brian

1 lb. of flox would be way, way more than enough. You'll probably have enough left over to stuff a small pillow.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    1 lb. of flox would be way, way more than enough. You'll probably have enough left over to stuff a small pillow.
    Thanks, I was hoping I'd have enough left over to do that LOL.

Do you have to add flox? is the hysol to thin if you don't? Again, I'm attaching ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by southwind32 View Post
    Do you have to add flox? is the hysol to thin if you don't? Again, I'm attaching ribs.
    It is helpful, Brian. Sometimes it depends on the working conditions. The mixed epoxy will be more "runny" when the ambient temperature is hotter, and as it starts to cure it heats up and initially thins a little more, and then it stiffens up of course. With flox you can get just the right consistency so it stays where you put it. I have noticed that different batches have seemed to be thicker than others. The original containers I got from Kitfox, which were older, produced a thicker mixture (before flox added) than newer, fresher stuff that I purchased later.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime