Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Default Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

i found the service information released by kodiak research dated november 1994.
    the very short story is that from september 1994 on the 912 ul starting with sn
    4153100 will have version 2 propshaft with 13mm collar nuts
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Red face Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Super, I don't know why I didn't look for that

heres a link to bolt pattern standardization service info
    https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_...nfo/4kul94.pdf
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The engine first start went according to plan. Dead battery had to be charged. After three attempts had to be charged again, new battery has been purchased. Start went off with good results but the Dynon DS 10 has many configurable screens. After replacing the supplied oil pressure sender with a Kavlico sender, the problem of oil pressure sender communication was partially solved.
    The Dynon must be configured for your engine and the individual screens for RPM and pressure have been manually input. I think I may fly tomorrow.
    Of course the nose cone didn't fit. That would have been too easy. Im looking for something that will fit a rotax powered round cowl. Not as easy as I thought.

The mech stuck around for the engine run and signed off the plane. The pneumatic balance and blade pitch are on me.
    Not a problem. If things continue as they have been, there should be a major weather system or an earthquake that destroys my runway. I cant wait.

We know the feeling

I walked into the hangar and looked at my project sitting in the dim light of overhead flood lighting. There were tools and empty oil bottles around her feet. She sat there without her cowlings and two empty mouse traps on sentry.
    The extra parts, the ill fitting nose cone, and the little drip of oil below the left corner of the heat blanket was just the icing on the cake. I shut off the lights, started up my tractor and started moving dirt. The little plane will have to wait until I feel like it. Im pretty tired of the process. Not one single aspect has gone according to plan. I"m too close to quit and I'm too Peeved to continue. I have 300 acres of hay to get in, and frankly, I would rather do that right now.

Dynon called back with an answer to the tachometer problem. The set up screen in the installation manual calls for several options. Deciding which one will require an optical tachometer to satisfy me that I'm seeing what is being reported.
    190.00 sound reasonable for an answer? Welcome to aviation 101.

Victory is never sweeter than when it is hard won.
    tonight I fueled up the the fox and completed a final run up with the new Dynon settings from Steve at the company. Voila! beautiful readable believable vibrations of engine RPM!
    All in the green, I took off in the evening light and flew for a few minutes to get the feel of it back. She makes 95mph at 5400 rpm. Probably a result of a slightly flat pitch and the lack of a nose cone. The ambient temps were in the 90s and the engine temps were relatively cool. I did a couple circuits and tested out my landing skills. My wife cried a little when I landed, she was afraid I was about to quit. and truth be told, I was. Its been a long road. I think the end of the ridiculous maintenance may be upon us. We should be able to fly, just ... fly.
    I'll keep you posted.

What is the right nose cone for a new 912ul in a Model IV round cowl. the 9 inch carbon fiber option is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Victory is never sweeter than when it is hard won.
    Way to stick with it. Congratulations.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Great Job Wheels! I know what you mean. Wiring is staring me in the face. Just finished summer vacation on the Green River UT with my boys and my brother. Now I need to start installing wiring harness'.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X