Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Maule Tundra tailwheel

Default Maule Tundra tailwheel

Does anyone have any experience with this type of tailwheel I have looked everywhere to find information on adjustments and google returns very little.
    I would like it to stay locked a little longer. What kind of adjustment might get it to be a little more solid.

MauleTW.jpg
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Default Re: Maule Tundra tailwheel

I had found a diagram of the pieces and parts online for the standard Maule Tailwheel, it appears to have the same design. The ramped "cam" is removable. The pin rides on the cam and disengages the lock. If the edges of the lock pin are rounded it will release early. If you remove the cam the wheel will not release, this can be a good thing.
    Mine was releasing early causing me to do a 360 when turning into my hangar row. That was when I decided to change to the Matco tailwheel, it has a much better design release mechanism.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I had found a diagram of the pieces and parts online for the standard Maule Tailwheel, it appears to have the same design.
    Ralph
    The standard Maul does have a pin cam and I removed the external release bumper on the Maul that I had on my Avid Speed wing. Made it a locked tail wheel which was much easier to control on the Avid. The KitFox IV is much more controlable than the Avid was.
    This Maul does not have the cam external just a nut on the top of the steering pin. I am not sure if tightning that will make the tailwheel firmer or not. I agree the Matco seems better but I have other things to spend money on at this time.
    Not sure how to adjust this one. Anybody running this type and know?
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

The photo is just one I pulled from the net not an actual phone of my tailwheel. I thought it was the same but you are right Ralph it does have the external cam. Mine does not, but is the square style reciever. I will get a photo of minethe next time I am at the hanger.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Question Re: Maule Tundra tailwheel

any luck??? just picked up a 7 with that tail wheel , think I will go to matco had one on my 4 and really liked it. really do not like how fast the maule kicks out, really having problems with landing 3 point and tail wheel shaking violently. having to land on mains to keep under control.. any help would be appreciated.

Use to fly a Citabria years ago that had a Maule pneumatic tailwheel on it, It was a single arm going down to the axle. We had nothing but trouble with that thing, we were always trying to tighten it up, adjust it, tryping to keep it from shimming, sticking, and I can't remember everything else. I'm not a fan of the pneumatic Maules, solid Maules are a different story.

Both are very sensitive to proper setup. If there's too much throw they unlock unexpectedly, if there isn't enough throw they won't unlock. The shimmy problems are most likely associated with the caster angle of the swivel axle. If the spring is sagging, they will shimmy. ThIs angle should be perpendicular to the ground, or slightly back. If it is forward, the wheel will shimmy.

Having owned and flown both, the Matco design is far superior.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thank you for your input, glad to know its not just me. I will be contacting kitfox in the morning to order a matco unless i hear something better here.

That shake is caused by incorrect tailwheel angle. A different spring, or
    wedge to adjust the angle can fix it. I machined a wedge on mine, and have
    had zero problems since

Look at this image, it is almost for sure what the problem is if your airplane
    was put together with stock spring, and the Maule tailwheel.

http://www.pierceaero.net/techdata/tws.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JAMES20011 View Post
    any luck??? just picked up a 7 with that tail wheel , think I will go to matco had one on my 4 and really liked it. really do not like how fast the maule kicks out, really having problems with landing 3 point and tail wheel shaking violently. having to land on mains to keep under control.. any help would be appreciated.