Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 40 of 120 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Wondering, Steve, Do you notice a change in your altimeter when you open your doors in flight?
    Yes, for about 1 second then it remains stable.

We've only done about 30 Kitfox like this in the last 20 years from model 3 up. My model 4 was very accurate with this set up. Never had dirt, bugs, frost, ice or other contaminates ever plug the one behind the panel.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

What a mess. I painted the struts and flapperons with few problems. there are blemishes don't get me wrong but...
    To degrease them I used alcohol but thought that MEK was better. Well, I used MEK on the engine cowls and nose cone. What a mistake. I dont understand why the nose cone was not affected but I have applied the paint to it and the cowls and found that I can see the swirl marks left behind by the rag on the cowls. Brand new rag with MEK. Don't do it. Use alcohol for Poly Tone paint. I get to let this paint dry and sand to try again. I wont take it down to primer but I will need to take it down to smooth out the finish in order to apply more paint and hope that it works out.

I could have told you this, ask me how I know! MEK is great stuff when used properly and on items, it will not attack.

you can not go wrong with alcohol, even at the end of the day, I prefer Titos.

Yeah I use methyl hydrate to prep everything and only used MEK on urethane clean up
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I don't believe it etched the primer at all but it left residue on the surface as it dried. Alcohol doesn't seem to do that. Although, I did have fish eyes on the horizontal stab fuselage panel on the first attempt having used alcohol and MEK was like using an eraser to remove paint. I guess I don't recall if I ultimately used alcohol again to remove MEK residue or not. Panels came out OK until nearly running out of paint I turned a knob on the gun inadvertently and paint poured out the tip right onto the panel. Now there is some evidence of a screw up but I am going to live with it. It will probably ( certainly )be evident that an amature painter did this work.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    ...Now there is some evidence of a screw up but I am going to live with it. It will probably ( certainly )be evident that an amature painter did this work.
    Join the crowd, Eddie... at least the “crowd” of you & me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey Eddie - the only difference between your painting experience and mine is that you have told everyone about the stuff ups!! Keep your eye on the main game - going flying!

getting close now!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

yeh, Im a self deprecating type.

thanks for welcoming me in John.

Eddie,

This stuff can be frustrating....on the cowl and spinner, you might get lucky on just sanding to get the swirls out, particularly if you run a coat of epoxy primer on the parts before doing your topcoat; however, you might consider watersanding all the way through the layers and starting fresh from the bottom up with epoxy primer. Depends on how much work you want to make of it and how badly you want to suffer.

I suspect what happened is the MEK dissolved more stuff than just the contaminants, causing the rough surface. Polyfiber sells a paint cleaning solvent (C-2210) that works real well (better than plain denatured alcohol) and is completely compatible with their products.

The other thing with MEK is it will dissolve both Epoxy primer and Urethane if either of those products are not completely cured (like weeks). Also good not to use MEK on a gel coat or raw fiberglass - there is almost always some stuff in them that will make slime with MEK.

The fish eyes are almost always the effect or oil, silicon or some other grunt that repels wet paint. The recommended cleaner will pick up silicon (lots of stuff won't).

It can be a challenge! Keep your spirits up.

I managed to get a paint run right next to the oil door - I was going to sand it out and re-do; but, decided it was good to look at when checking the oil before flying so a person always stays humble...

Take care & keep on Kitfoxing
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN