Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 38 of 120 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I wouldn't personally put my static source inside the wing. The wing is surrounded by anything but ambient static pressure. It has hi pressure on the bottom side and low pressure on the top to provide lift; who knows which of those pressures will predominate on the inside.

I put mine in the Kitfox recommended location, on the left side, low and just forward of the lifting handle. Kitfox can give you dimensions. They also said the best would be an identical location on the right side, teed together with the left side tubing. I believe this information came with their optional static port kit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I know that if I was building a Kitfox then I'd mount the static ports either side of the fuselage in the position mentioned above. They look pretty simple to mount and I'd definitely fit two and have the T running to the instruments.

Unfortunately for me, who seems to want to do things differently to everyone else the Eurofox does not have a recommended position for static ports, since they do just use cockpit pressure. I would imagine the Kitfox recommended position would be very similar but I don't really think I'm up to making holes in places that I don't know for sure are going to work.

I appreciate the thinking behind the wing pressures and will do some more research

If some are just putting behind the panel and its working, I think I will try that.
    I really don't feel like routing 20ft of additional pitot hose if not needed. It is an easy enough install if my altitude reading prove erroneous.
    Thanks guys

In the Cherokee I flew, pulling the internal static source on caused 50’ of difference from the outside source.

Considering from an ATC point of view RVSM aircraft can be 200’ out from their assigned altitude I think it’s ok. I think the kitfox is way more leaky than the Cherokee and probably has less errors.
    Last edited by Esser; 12-02-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have a WAAS GPS source. Does that rely on input from the Static system? Or do the GPSs get altitude source from itself? I certainly would be able to verify the error between the two if the WAAS determines altitude by its own means.

OK, getting interesting now. After 23 years of no PIC logged flights I have made the first step of getting back in!. Sent my deposit to Stick and Rudder for my Transition and BFR for April 2018. Need to brush up on academics now.
    Eddie

GPS calculates altitude just like it does position. No static source required or needed. I ported my static to a source behind the panel. I agree these are not the most accurate source, but much easier and "good enough" in my opinion.

You are going to have so much fun with Paul and his crew!!

(I'm a little jealous. I wanna go back there and play so much...)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Not wanting to make this more confusing, but what if you want to install ADSB out? The altitude for this needs to be accurate. It will come from an AHRS or blind encoder that uses the static system, not the GPS altitude.

I installed my static port where the manual suggested and added a second one on the opposite side. I really like having the second port, I believe it helps stabilize things, especially when slipping the plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Not wanting to make this more confusing, but what if you want to install ADSB out? The altitude for this needs to be accurate. It will come from an AHRS or blind encoder that uses the static system, not the GPS altitude.
    If it’s within 200’ of your Assigned altitude, ATC won’t say a word. As far as the regs are concerned, you are at that altitude.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

The purpose of the WAAS enabled GPS is to give a more accurate GPS position, in all three dimensions. ADSB out does not use a static signal.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos