Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 32 of 120 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

This is an extremely annoying part of the build and also satisfying when it's done. I had my cowl on and off about 40 times over 2 days. You seemed to make quick work of it!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I was very concerned at the start. I have heard things. I have slipped them on and off about 5 times. I seem to have lucked out. I am still concerned though about having something shift when I start putting camlocks in. I have cut the edges with little room for paint so I think I still have some wiggle room.
    I used strapping tape for securing things in place and I really think that helped a lot. Strapping tape does not move once you stick it to the cowl. It can slide a smidge out of alignment but it wont stretch. I believe that was key. I believe the tools I had made it a whole lot quicker too. I still need to dress up the mating surfaces of the inlets. they are a bit too rough for my liking. Poly Fil to the rescue again.
    Eddie

Certainly Josh you must be referring to the number of times through to completion. I still have all the holes and cam locks to do.

I think those photos that Ross posted from John McBean are extremely helpful. I wish I had them when I was blundering my way through the cowl fitting. Mine turned out fine, as most of us do by going slow and easy, but I think in my case those photos would have speeded up the process.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The original fit of your cowl halves, especially around the intakes is a surprisingly poor matchup. I'm not at that point yet, but it looks like you've salvaged that very well Eddie. Good job.
    David
    SS7 Builder

speaking of photos posted by John McBean. Certainly the factory must have a treasure trove of photos that they have taken or have been provided by builders. Can you imagine if they had a section on their website that had photos cataloged according to chapters. There has to be a lot of knowledge there regarding what most people ask about. I believe that would be an unbelievably valuable tab on the website. Nice place to store photos they already have don't you think?

Maybe better yet.
    Desert Fox 4, what if there were threads on this forum pertaining to chapters specifically as there are for say, where I fly. Forum members could add to the thread by posting pics of how they tackled the item and how it turned out? I could then just go to the FWF thread and look through the photos pertaining to the FWF build. I know the factory is busy building airplanes and we would not want members to abandon this site either.
    Eddie

Start any specific topic thread and we ( myself or my moderators) can make them a "sticky" so they will be very easy to locate whenever a builder needs them as a reference. We have a "builders tips" sticky now but that is a general topic thread not specific to any one chapter in the build manual.
    It takes people willing to share photos, videos and techniques and then others can add their tips to the threads using just a little discipline to post in the appropriate sticky instead of the general topic heading.
    I think this would benefit greatly builders in the future and is very generous of those posting who have worked through a few of the more challenging portions of a build. It takes time to document proceedures like cowling fitting and share here with others. A few photos can really clear the fog away and unstick a builder.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I will try that. Lets see how this cowling stuff works out and I will post.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Hey Ross
    Bringing you question to my thread
    I put the cowl bumps on for looks. I don't much care for the looks of the Rotax cowl compared to the Lycoming cowl on the Kitfox so I am using everything they sent me in the kit to dress it up. I wish I new how to paint a scheme that made it appear fatter up front.
    Eddie